Jump to Content
The following definitions shall apply to the interpretation and enforcement of this chapter of the Code of the Township of Hempfield.
A. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any independent structure having a roof supported by columns or walls resting on its own foundation and includes dwelling, garage, barn, stable, shed, greenhouse, mobile home, plant, factory, warehouse, office space, school or similar structures.
- COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
- Any structure or building which is wholly or partly to be used by persons for the conducting of a business.
- Any building which is wholly or partly used or intended to be used for living or sleeping by human occupants.
- DWELLING UNIT
- Any group of rooms located within a dwelling and forming a single habitable unit with facilities which are used or intended to be used for living or sleeping by human occupants.
- The person who, alone or jointly or severally with others:
(1) Shall have legal title to any dwelling, dwelling unit, commercial building, with or without accompanying actual possession; or
(2) Shall have charge, care or control of any dwelling or dwelling unit or commercial structure, as owner or agent of the owner or as executor, administrator or guardian of the estate of the owner. Any such person thus representing the actual owner shall be bound to comply with the provisions of this chapter and of any rules and regulations adopted pursuant thereto to the same extent as if said person were the owner.
- Every natural person, firm, partnership, association, estate or corporation or other legal entity.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Every estate, interest and right in lands and structures attached to lands.
- Anything constructed or erected with a fixed location on the ground, whether or not affixed to the ground.
- TENANT AND OCCUPANT
- When applied to a building or land, shall include any person who occupies the whole or part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
B. Meanings of certain words. All words used in the singular shall include the plural; all words used in the plural shall include the singular; all words referring to a certain gender shall include reference to both genders; whether the words "dwelling," "dwelling unit," "commercial structure" or "premises" are used in this chapter, they shall be construed as though they were followed by the words "or any part thereof."
All owners of rented, leased or occupied dwelling units and commercial structures within the corporate limits of the Township of Hempfield shall furnish to the Township of Hempfield the names and addresses of each tenant, lessee or occupant of either a dwelling unit or commercial structure owned as aforesaid.
Upon the change of occupancy or tenancy in either a dwelling unit or commercial structure, the owner shall, within 30 days of the date of the change of occupancy or tenancy, notify the Township of Hempfield of said change and shall provide to the Township of Hempfield the name and address of the new occupant, tenant or lessee therein.
The Township of Hempfield shall establish a form for reporting purposes by the owners of properties leased, rented or otherwise occupied within the corporate limits of the Township of Hempfield.
Any person or corporation violating the provisions of this chapter, if convicted thereof, before a magisterial district judge having jurisdiction, shall be ordered to pay to the Township of Hempfield a fine not exceeding $600 for each violation, plus costs and, in default, may be subject to imprisonment not to exceed 30 days. Each violation shall be subject to the same fine as herein set forth.