[Adopted 6-22-2004 by Ord. No. 3884-04]
The Municipal Council adopts Part I as an Administrative Code for the organization and administration of the government of the Township, pursuant to the Mayor-Council Plan of the Optional Municipal Charter Law, N.J.S.A. 40:69A-1 to 40:69A-210, as it may be amended and supplemented.
Part I, entitled "Administration of Government" shall be known and may be cited as the "Administrative Code of Toms River Township."
For the purposes of Part I and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances and resolutions heretofor adopted by the Township, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated.
- Mayor-Council Plan of the Optional Municipal Charter Law, N.J.S.A. 40:69A-1 to 40:69A-210, as amended and supplemented, and any and all general laws as therein defined which are or may be applicable to the Township.
- An organizational unit of the municipal government so designated by this Code.
- The head of a department appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the Council.
- Includes individuals, corporations, firms, organizations, companies, associations or any group acting as an individual or as a unit. The masculine shall include the feminine gender.
- TOWNSHIP or MUNICIPALITY
- The Township of Toms River, Ocean County, New Jersey.
- A calendar year, unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purposes of this Code and any other ordinances heretofor or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
A singular number includes the plural and the plural, the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory, and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be commuted by excluding the first and including the last day, and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday or a day on which the Township is closed, that they shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include writing and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day or any year.