Jump to Content
- Ordinance Amendment
- Created: 2012-11-12
Portions of Chapter 16 have been amended. See Ordinance 2012-433 for revised legislation.
Part 1 APPLICABILITY; RULES AND REGULATIONS
[Ord. 2005-362, 12/15/2005; as amended by Ord. 2009-391, 5/7/2009, § I]This Part shall be applicable to any Cranberry Township park, playground, recreation center or facility or any other area in the Township owned or used by the Township and devoted to active or passive recreation.
[Ord. 2005-362, 12/15/2005; as amended by Ord. 2009-391, 5/7/2009, § I]
1. Prohibited Activities. The below-listed activities are specifically prohibited in any park and recreation area. Exceptions to these prohibitions will be recognized only upon the possession and presentation of a written authorization signed by the Director of Park and Recreation; by signs posted by authorized representatives of the Township; or by the immediate direction of a Cranberry Township police officer.
A. Motor Vehicles. State motor vehicle laws apply. No person in a park shall fail to comply with all applicable provisions of the State motor vehicle traffic laws in regard to equipment and operation of vehicles together with such regulations as are contained in this Part and other ordinances.
(1) Current Inspection Sticker and Registration Required. No motor vehicle of any kind or description, whether car, truck, motorcycle, motorized bicycle, minibike, all-terrain vehicle, snowmobile or other motorized vehicle, whether two-wheeled or four-wheeled, shall be operated within any park area of Cranberry Township without having a current vehicle inspection sticker and current registration.
(2) Operation permitted on roadways and designated parking areas only. All such licensed and currently inspected vehicles shall operate on the regularly designated roadways and in parking areas only, and no vehicle may be operated on or through any other area of the park, including, but not limited to, grass areas or trails. Vehicles may be parked only in designated parking areas.
(3) Repair and Maintenance of Vehicles. Washing, greasing, lubricating, or other maintenance or repair of vehicles on park property is prohibited.
B. Park Property.
(1) Shrubs, Flowers, Trees, Grass, Turf Soil, or Rock Formation. No person shall pick, cut, break, remove, deface, or damage in any way any shrubs, flowers, trees, grass, turf, soil, or rock formation located within the park.
(2) Buildings, Structures, or Park Facilities. No person shall deface, damage, or misuse in any way any buildings, structures, or other Township facilities located with the park. No person shall remove any bench, seat, or table from the park or change the location thereof.
(3) Wastepaper, Garbage, and Refuse. No person shall leave or otherwise dispose of any wastepaper, garbage, or refuse in the park except in receptacles designated for that purpose. Garbage and waste receptacles located in the park are for the use of park patrons only. Depositing in the park receptacles wastepaper, garbage, or refuse generated from outside the park is prohibited.
(4) Ponds, Streams, and Fountains. Wading or swimming in ponds, streams, fountains, or other water facilities is prohibited, unless designated for that purpose. Discharging of any type of waste or toxic materials into or otherwise contaminating any pond, stream, fountain, or water facility is prohibited.
C. Animals and Birds.
(1) Domestic animals are permitted in designated areas only except for Seeing Eye or similar companion animals.
(2) Molesting, trapping, hunting, killing, injuring, or abandoning animals or birds within park areas is prohibited.
D. Postings. No person shall injure, deface, destroy or remove any notice, rule or regulation posted in any place within the park by authority of the Township, nor shall any person post at any place within the park any notice, advertisement or placard other than by authority of the Director of Park and Recreation.
E. Weapons or Explosives.
(1) No person, other than an officer of the law, shall discharge any firearm or weapon within any park except as may be otherwise permitted under state law.
(2) No person shall possess, set off, or launch any fireworks, explosive devices, or rockets.
F. Merchandising. No person shall offer, distribute, supply, rent, or sell any literature, commodity, article, material, equipment, service, or supply, except pursuant to Subsection 2C.
(1) No person shall bring any alcoholic beverages into the park either for his own use or the use of any other person.
(2) No beverages shall be permitted in the park in glass bottles or containers, nor shall any beverages be served in glass containers.
H. Model Planes. No person shall operate a powered model plane, remote controlled glider or similar equipment within the park.
2. Regulated Activities. The below-listed activities are permitted in certain areas of Cranberry Township's parks but are subject to the regulations indicated herein and those posted in the appropriate area:
A. Recreational Activities. Picnicking, swimming, tennis, golf, skating, skateboarding, bicycling, skiing, sledding, baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, football, horseshoe pitching, and related and similar forms of recreation are permitted only in areas designated for such use, and in no case shall such use be permitted in areas where park facilities, patrons, or areas may be injured. Use of fields or facilities closed for maintenance and repair is strictly prohibited.
(1) Fires are permitted only in stoves, fireplaces, grills, or similar designated areas and facilities and must be thoroughly extinguished before leaving the area.
(2) Matches, cigars, cigarettes and charcoal must be thoroughly extinguished before being disposed in appropriate receptacles.
C. Sale of Food and Refreshments. Food and refreshments may be sold under the provisions of written agreements with the Township only.
D. Charging for Admission. The holders of permits for special-use events or activities engaged in a non-profit-making enterprise may charge the public for admission to an event subject to the prior written approval of the Director of Park and Recreation.
E. Public Gatherings. No person shall hold any meeting or gathering otherwise assembled and composed of 25 persons or more or shall indicate the location in the park where such gathering shall be held without a permit. The permit request shall be in the name of a person who shall be responsible for seeing that all refuse left by the group shall be placed in proper containers before leaving the park. This shall not apply to athletic association use of ball fields under arrangements with the Park and Recreation Department.
F. Use of Permit Facilities. Permits are required to reserve buildings, shelters, groves, and other facilities in accordance with the usage policies associated with such facilities. Permits are required for athletic field uses and are issued by the Parks and Recreation Department in accordance with the Township's Sports Field Usage Policy.
G. Park Hours. Park hours are from sunrise until 11:00 p.m., unless otherwise designated.
H. Noise. No sound amplification systems are permitted in the park area without a permit issued by the Director of Park and Recreation or as part of a Township-sponsored event.
I. Fees and Charges. Permit fees shall be established by resolution of the Board of Supervisors. Other charges may be established to underwrite a particular service as necessary.
[Ord. 2005-362, 12/15/2005; as amended by Ord. 2009-391, 5/7/2009, § I]Any person, firm or corporation who shall violate any provision of this Part, upon conviction thereof in an action brought before a district judge in the manner provided for the enforcement of summary offenses under the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure, shall be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $1,000, plus costs, and, in default of payment of said fine and costs, to a term of imprisonment not to exceed 90 days. Each day that a violation of this Part continues or each section of this Part which shall be found to have been violated shall constitute a separate offense.