[HISTORY: Adopted by Town Meeting of the Town of Bethel 12-1-1979. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ALCOHOLIC LIQUOR
- Shall have the same meaning as in the Connecticut Liquor Control Act, Section 30-1 et seq. of the Connecticut General Statutes, Revision of 1958, as amended.
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- Shall have the same meaning as in Section 14-1 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
- POSSESSION WITH INTENT TO CONSUME
- Having in one's possession or control alcoholic liquor in a glass, open bottle, open can or other open container so as to permit consumption.
- PUBLIC HIGHWAYS
- All public highways within and under the control of the Town of Bethel, and shall include the sidewalks.
- PUBLIC PARKS and PUBLIC GROUNDS
- Those areas owned by or under the control of the Town of Bethel or customarily used by the general public.
Except as permitted in § 36-3 hereof, no person shall consume or possess with intent to consume any alcoholic liquor within the limits of any public highway, public park or public ground as they exist within the Town of Bethel. For purposes of this section, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the consumption of alcoholic liquor in motor vehicles parked on said premises shall also be deemed a violation hereof.
Persons may possess alcoholic liquor with the intent to consume and may consume alcoholic liquor during any public function, festival or celebration without violating this chapter; provided, however, that the First Selectman has first given written authorization to permit the sale, service or distribution of alcoholic liquor at or in connection with such function, festival or celebration.
Any person violating the provisions of this chapter shall be fined not more than $100 for each offense.