ARTICLE IGeneral Provisions (§ 72-1 — § 72-7)
ARTICLE IIRecycling (§ 72-8 — § 72-10)
§ 72-2Functions of Town Board.
§ 72-3Establishment of town landfill.
§ 72-4Purpose of landfill; use restricted.
§ 72-5Permits for use of landfill.
§ 72-6Institution of rules and regulations.
§ 72-7Penalties for offenses.
For the purpose of this article, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section:
- ACCEPTABLE MATERIAL
- All rubbish and garbage.
- The residue from the burning of wood, coal, coke or other combustible materials.
- Putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- An individual, society, club, firm, partnership, corporation, association of persons, educational institutions, both public and private, or any other entity, and the singular number shall include the plural number.
- Land, buildings or other structures, vehicles or parts thereof upon or in which refuse is stored.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes (except nontreated body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market or industrial waste.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes, excluding ashes, consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, tree trimmings, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
The Town Board of the Town of Potsdam, in order to protect the health and safety of the people of the Town of Potsdam, is authorized and directed by implementing and enforcing the provisions of this article to control the storage, collection and disposal of refuse from the Town of Potsdam and to approve and regulate the establishment, maintenance and operation of refuse disposal methods and sites.
The area hitherto established as a town landfill or any area hereafter so established shall be considered as the town landfill, as the phrase is used in this article.
The operation and maintenance of the Town of Potsdam landfill is for the safety, health, welfare and convenience of Potsdam residents. Only acceptable material, as heretofore defined and originating in the Town of Potsdam, shall be allowed to be deposited in the town landfill.
The Town Clerk shall issue permits to any person, firm, corporation or educational institute, both public and private, and their agents who engage in the business of refuse collection in the Town of Potsdam and who desire to deposit acceptable materials in the town landfill in accordance with the rules and regulations as posted, including but not limited to method and manner of issuance of permits and method and manner of collection of fees for permits.
The Town Board shall institute rules and regulations for the storage, collection and deposit of refuse; to establish a fee schedule for the issuance of permits; and to have the responsibility for such collection and deposit, whether by town or village forces, town or village contractor or private contractor.
Any person, as herein defined, committing an offense against any provision of this article or the rules and regulations issued pursuant thereto shall be guilty of a violation punishable by a fine of not more than $250 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 days, or both, and the continuation of an offense against the provisions of this article shall constitute, for each week the offense is continued, a separate and distinct offense.
§ 72-8Statutory authority.
§ 72-9Source separation required.
§ 72-10Adoption of county standards.
This article is mandated by § 120-aa of the General Municipal Law.
Every waste generator in the Town of Potsdam shall source-separate recyclable materials from solid waste.
Local Law No. 4 (entitled "Mandatory Source Separation") of 1991 enacted by the St. Lawrence County Board of Legislators and effective as provided in Section 9 therein requiring source separation of recyclable materials from solid waste is hereby incorporated by reference, and the following provisions thereof shall apply to all waste generators within the Town of Potsdam: