[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough of Rutherford Council 6-7-1989 by Ord. No. 2538-89. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Whenever used in this chapter, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context, the terms herein shall be defined as follows:
- Includes vehicles with two wheels, 20 inches or more in diameter, one in front of the other, having a saddle-like seat for the rider, steered by a handle bar and driven by pedals.
- The Borough of Rutherford.
- An individual, association of individuals or corporation.
- ROLLER SKATES
- Includes a skate with small wheels instead of a runner for skating on a surface other than ice.
- Includes a vehicle that consists typically of a narrow footboard mounted between two wheels tandem with an upright handle attached to the front wheel that is operated by placing one foot on the footboard and pushing with the other foot.
- Includes a vehicle that consists typically of a narrow footboard mounted between four small wheels that is operated by placing one foot on the footboard and pushing with the other foot.
It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to ride or operate a bicycle, roller skates, scooter or skateboard upon any sidewalk within the commercial zone districts, in or upon any municipal parking facility, on any public plaza within the Borough of Rutherford or on posted private property within the Borough of Rutherford.
Persons riding or operating bicycles, roller skates, scooters or skateboards shall comply with the traffic laws of the State of New Jersey, the Traffic Ordinance of the borough and such other rules and regulations as may be adopted from time to time by the governing body of the Borough of Rutherford.
Persons riding bicycles, roller skates, scooters or skateboards upon a roadway shall ride in single file; provided, however, that this regulation shall not apply on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, roller skates, scooters or skateboards.
Every person riding or operating a bicycle, roller skates, scooter or skateboard shall obey all stop signs and traffic signals in the same manner and to the same extent as would be required if said person was operating a motor vehicle.
No person riding upon a bicycle, roller skates, scooter or skateboard shall attach the same or himself to any vehicle.
Any person of eight years of age and under 18 years of age violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall have his or her bicycle, roller skates, scooter or skateboard impounded by the Borough of Rutherford Police Department for a period of time not less than seven days nor more than 30 days, and during that period of time the offender cannot ride or operate his or her bicycle, roller skates, scooter or skateboard on the streets or roadways of the borough. Notification of the violation of this chapter shall be addressed to the parents or guardian of the offender.
Any person of 18 years of age and over violating any of the provisions of this chapter may be subjected to a fine of not exceeding $50 by the Judge before whom such person is convicted or the penalties prescribed in § 98-4 hereof.
It shall be the duty of the Borough of Rutherford Police Department to enforce the provisions of this chapter.
Every section of this chapter or subdivision or separate part thereof shall be considered a separate provision and in case any such provision shall be held by a proper legal tribunal to be unconstitutional or invalid, the same shall not affect any other provision except so far as the provision so declared to be unconstitutional or invalid shall be inseparable from the remainder of any portion thereof.