[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Bradford Woods 4-9-1984 by Ord. No. 293. Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the “Bradford Woods Borough Abandoned or Junked Motor Vehicle Ordinance.”
For the purposes of this chapter and unless otherwise expressly stated, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:
- ABANDONED OR JUNKED MOTOR VEHICLE
- Any motor vehicle which:
- A. Is inoperable and is left unattended on a public street, road, highway or public property for more than 48 hours;
- B. Has remained illegally on a public street, road, highway or other public property for a period of more than 48 hours;
- C. Has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of that property for more than 48 hours;
- D. Is inoperable and has been stored or kept outside and not enclosed within a building on any private property for more than 30 days, provided, however, that an inoperable motor vehicle held or stored upon the property of a person engaged in the business of servicing, repairing, storing or disposing of inoperable motor vehicles in conformity with the zoning laws of Bradford Woods Borough shall not be considered an abandoned or junked motor vehicle for the purpose of this chapter as long as it is screened from view from the abutting properties; or
- E. Is stored or kept in such a manner as to cause loud noises or offensive odors or attract vermin or is otherwise a detriment to the environment or danger to those who may be in close proximity or a nuisance in any other manner.
- As applied to a motor vehicle under this chapter:
- A. A motor vehicle that does not have a current registration plate and a current inspection sticker; or
- B. A motor vehicle that does not have the required number of wheels or tires, does not have one or more of its doors or windows, does not have an engine or does not have a battery, or lacks any other part which is necessary to self-propel it.
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- Any device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon private land, public highways, streets or roads, which is self-propelled, except by human power alone, or drawn by a self-propelled vehicle.
- Any person, partnership, firm, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind. When used in any provision prescribing a fine or penalty, the word "person," as applied to partnerships, shall mean the partners thereof, and, as applied to a firm, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind, shall mean the officers thereof.
The storing or keeping of an abandoned or junked motor vehicle, as defined herein, by any person within Bradford Woods Borough is hereby declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited.
[Amended 10-13-2003 by Ord. No. 386]
Any person who places an abandoned or junked motor vehicle on any public or private property or who permits an abandoned or junked motor vehicle to be stored or kept outside and not enclosed within a building on his property, and who fails to remove the same within 10 days after receiving written notice to do so from a police officer of the Northern Regional Police Department of Allegheny County or its successor, shall be guilty of violating this chapter and upon conviction thereof shall be subject to the appropriate penalties set forth in the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code (75 Pa.C.S.A. § 101 et seq.). Each calendar day in which an abandoned or junked motor vehicle is stored or kept in violation of this chapter shall constitute a separate and distinct violation.
In addition to all other remedies or penalties, Bradford Woods Borough may institute legal proceedings in a court of law or equity to obtain damages and equitable relief from the offense herein defined as a nuisance.