[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Elk 4-2-2015 by Ord. No. O-1-2105. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Fire Department — See Ch. 20.
Police Department — See Ch. 28.
Fire prevention — See Ch. 64.
Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms — See Ch. 82.
Editor's Note: This ordinance also repealed former Ch. 40A, Alarm Systems, adopted 12-1-1983.
The purpose of this chapter is to establish regulation concerning the operation and maintenance of alarm systems within the Township of Elk and to provide penalties upon conviction for violation of any of the provisions set forth herein.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meaning indicated:
- ALARM SYSTEM
- Any mechanical, electrical or electronic device which is designed or used for the detection of an unauthorized entry into a building, structure or facility, or for alerting about the commission of an unlawful act within a building, structure or facility, or for alerting others about the existence of any other condition requiring response of police, fire or ambulance personnel; and which emits and/or transmits an audible and/or visual signal or message when actuated. Alarm systems include, but are not limited to, direct-dial telephone devices, audible alarms and subscriber alarms.
- AUDIBLE ALARM
- A device that emits an audible signal from the premises that it is designated to protect.
- AUDIBLE CUTOFF
- An electronic or mechanical device designed to cut off the audible sounding device on the premises after 15 minutes.
- DIRECT-DIAL ALARM
- A device which, when actuated, causes a recorded message to be transmitted, via telephone, to the Elk Township Police Department and/or Gloucester County Communications Center, stating that emergency response is necessary.
- FALSE ALARM
- An alarm signal necessitating response by the Elk Township Police Department or Fire Department where an emergency situation does not exist. An alarm which has been activated by an external source that is beyond the reasonable control of the subscriber shall not be considered a false alarm.
- Any natural person, firm, partnership, corporation or association.
- The Elk Township Police Department.
- SUBSCRIBER ALARM
- An alarm system that is terminated by direct communication to the Elk Township Police Department and/or the Gloucester County Communications Center.
- The Township of Elk.
It shall be the responsibility of all persons that install, connect, operate or maintain an alarm system to first register such alarm system as hereinafter provided.
Any person having installed, connected operated or maintained an alarm system prior to the effective date of this chapter shall be bound by the provisions hereof.
Alarm system registration shall be made upon initial installation on an application form provided by the Township Clerk of the Township of Elk. Said application form shall require:
The name, address and telephone number of the registrant.
Lot, block and geographic location.
The address of the protected premises wherein the alarm is located.
The names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least two persons other that the registrant who may be contact in the event of the alarm.
The service telephone number of the dialer alarm company which installed the unit.
Audible alarm cutoff time.
Such other information as may be required by the Township of Elk.
It shall be the responsibility of all persons that own, operate and/or maintain alarm systems within the Township of Elk to provide current information to the office of the Clerk, consisting of the names and telephone numbers of responsible persons who may be contacted in case of emergency, or who are authorized to provide service to the alarm system; either must be on a twenty-four-hour basis. The Elk Township Clerk will forward this information to the Elk Township Police Department.
All audible alarm systems must be silenced within 15 minutes after a designated responsible person is notified to do so by the Police and/or Fire Department. The alarm system shall be equipped with a timing device that will automatically silence the audible alarm within 15 minutes after it is actuated.
It shall be the responsibility of all persons that maintain alarm systems within the Township of Elk to prevent the transmission of false alarms through a program of training and periodic inspection and maintenance of the system.
The registrant shall maintain his equipment in good condition and repair so as to prevent false alarms. For the purposes of this section, false alarms activated by an act of God or other circumstance beyond the control of the registrant shall not be evidence of failure to properly maintain equipment.
False alarms in excess of these standards shall be considered to be in violation of this chapter.
The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the general alerting alarms that may be utilized by fire companies, ambulance squads or civil defense agencies to summon response of their members. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to alarm systems that are affixed to motor vehicles.
Any owner, resident or occupant, including but not limited to a residence, home, business, apartment, mobile home or the like, wherein the alarm system is connected, placed or maintained, who has not registered such system shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $500.
Any person, entity, firm or corporation that is found guilty of violating any other section of this chapter shall be subject to the following penalties:
For the first false alarm, a warning shall be issued.
For a second false alarm in the same ninety-day period, a fine of $250 shall be paid to Elk Township.
For a third and subsequent false alarm within the same ninety-day period, a fine of up to $750 shall be paid to Elk Township.
Upon conviction of a violation of this chapter for the fourth time in any twelve-month period and in addition to any penalty that may be ordered by the court, the Chief of Police may authorize the disconnection of alarms form the Gloucester County Communication Center after giving written notice to the subscriber, at least 10 days in advance, of his intention to disconnect same. The address for notification shall be by regular mail at the registration address submitted to the Township Clerk of the Township of Elk.