[Adopted 2-28-2005 by Ord. No. 05-007]
The purpose of this article is to establish requirements for the proper handling of yard waste in the Township of Manchester, so as to protect public health, safety and welfare, and to prescribe penalties for the failure to comply.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms, phrases, words, and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this article clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- The placement of yard waste in a trash can, bucket, bag or other vessel, such as to prevent the yard waste from spilling or blowing out into the street and coming into contact with stormwater.
- Includes all foliage from trees and shrubs.[Added 6-14-2010 by Ord. No. 10-012]
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- Any street, avenue, boulevard, road, parkway, viaduct, drive, or other way, which is an existing state, county or municipal roadway, and includes the land between the street lines, whether improved or unimproved, and may comprise pavement, shoulders, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, parking areas, and other areas within the street lines.
- YARD WASTE
- Leaves and grass clippings.
[Added 6-14-2010 by Ord. No. 10-012]
All persons within the municipality shall, for the period from September 1 through December 31 of each year, separate leaves from other solid waste generated at their premises, and unless the leaves are stored or reserved for composting or mulching on the premises, place the leaves at the curb or other designated area for collection in refuse bags made of heavy, multiple-ply paper or polyethylene or ethylene copolymer resin and designed for outdoor storage of refuse, at such time and dates in the manner established by the municipality's recycling regulations.
Bags must be securely tied or sealed and be of sufficient thickness and strength to contain the refuse enclosed without tearing or ripping under normal handling.
[Amended 4-29-2019 by Ord. No. 19-011]
The owner or occupant of any property, or any employee or contractor of such owner or occupant engaged to provide lawn care or landscaping services, shall not sweep, rake, blow or otherwise place yard waste at curbside for collection more than 48 hours prior to the scheduled pick-up specified by the township's leaf and brush pick-up schedule. Yard waste shall not be placed within 10 feet of any storm drain inlet or stormwater infrastructure.
[Amended 7-11-2005 by Ord. No. 05-037; 6-14-2010 by Ord. No. 10-012]
The provisions of this article shall be enforced by Township enforcing officials.
[Amended 6-14-2010 by Ord. No. 10-012]
Any person(s) who continues to be in violation of the provisions of this article, after being duly notified, shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $1,000 and/or incarceration for up to 90 days for each and every violation.