City of Meriden, CT
New Haven County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
This chapter establishes the procedures for making connections to the public sewer in the City sanitary sewer system. It also establishes specific limits for pollutant discharges which, by their nature or by their interaction with sewage, will be detrimental to the public health, cause damage to the public sewer or the water pollution control facility, pollute the waters of the state or otherwise create a public nuisance.
As part of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), federal and state agencies [Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and State Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP)] impose discharge limitations on the Meriden Water Pollution Control Facility. The discharge limitations are monitored via a prescribed (usually standard methods) testing/analysis and reporting program.
It is the nature of the program that the limitations imposed may be modified and/or increased by mandate of the above agencies.
Therefore, any and all commercial and industrial (nondomestic) sanitary sewer users may be required to meet any and all discharge requirements imposed upon the Meriden Water Pollution Control Facility. This would be in addition to the customer's existing discharge permit requirements.
Analysis verifying compliance with the above will be forwarded to the Director of Public Utilities or designee.
Restaurants and commercial and industrial buildings shall be required to complete a conceptual approval form and submit it for review and approval to the Engineering Division. The Engineering Division staff shall review the conceptual approval form and forward it to the Director of Public Utilities or designee for review and approval. The form is then sent to the Director of Public Works for final review and approval. The completed conceptual approval form is then provided to the DEEP by the applicant. The DEEP may or may not require a state permit for the discharge. The applicant shall supply a copy of the DEEP permit, if applicable, or a written confirmation from the DEEP that no permit is required to the Director of Public Utilities or designee. The Director of Public Utilities or designee may at his discretion require additional or stricter requirements of the applicant.
The City shall maintain a fee structure to compensate cost incurred to the WPCF due to the industrial monitoring and fats, oils, and grease discharge programs. Fees will be levied for application and permit review, permit revisions, review of records and reports, and on-site compliance inspections of pretreatment facilities. The fees may be adjusted annually as part of the WPCF budget and rate setting process.
The PUC may impose fines against any discharger who violates City and/or state regulations and codes. If, in the opinion of the PUC, the violation was flagrant or a reoccurring act of negligence, which resulted in a substantial negative effect on the water pollution control facility, the violator may be held financially liable for the biological recovery and operation of the Meriden Water Pollution Control Facility.
This chapter is intended to:
Inform the public as to the technical and administrative procedures to be followed in obtaining connection to the City's sanitary sewer system.
Prevent the introduction of pollutants into the sanitary sewer system which will interfere with the collection and/or treatment system.
Prevent the introduction of pollutants into the treatment system which will pass through the system, inadequately treated, into the waters of the state or the atmosphere or otherwise be incompatible with the system.
Improve the opportunity to recycle and reclaim wastewaters and sludges from the system.
Prevent clogging or blockage of the public sewer system due to grease build-up causing sewage to backup and flood streets, residences, and commercial buildings, resulting in potential liability to the PUC.
Implement a procedure to recover costs incurred from cleaning and maintaining the sewer and any liability incurred by the PUC for damage caused by grease blockages resulting in flooding of streets, residences, or commercial buildings.
This chapter shall apply to the City and to persons outside the City who are users of the public sewer. Except as otherwise provided herein, the Director of Public Utilities or designee for the City shall otherwise implement and enforce the provisions of this chapter.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
The Federal Water Pollution Control Act, also known as the "Clean Water Act," as amended, 33 U.S.C. § 1251 et seq.
Involves two separate but simultaneously performed static, acute screening tests. In each test* organisms basic to the aquatic food chain are exposed to an aliquot of effluent/discharge to determine the effect(s) of an effluent/discharge on the receiving stream and/or microbial activity within the water pollution control facility. [*Test performed on Daphnia pulex (larvae) and Pimephales promelas (fathead minnows).]
The acute toxicity test will be a prime factor used in determining the extent of pretreatment required of industrial/commercial users. Sample collection, handling, and analytical techniques used to determine the acute toxicity of the discharge shall be as prescribed in "Methods for Measuring the Acute Toxicity of Effluents to Freshwater and Marine Organisms" (EPA/600/4-85/013), unless otherwise specified in writing by the DEEP or in the regulations of Connecticut state agencies.
An indoor grease trap used to separate grease from wastewater by active mechanical or electrical means. See definition of "grease trap."
A backwater valve is a one-way flow control valve installed in a drainage system, that under normal conditions allows the wastewater to drain out of the system; however, if a reversed flow of drainage water should occur, the valve will be forced closed and protect the interior of the building from sewage backup.
The practices and procedures of a user of the public sewer that are designed to prevent or minimize obstruction, damage, or excessive maintenance of the sanitary sewer.
The amount of oxygen required by microorganisms while stabilizing decomposable organic matter under aerobic conditions for five days. The determination of BOD shall be performed in accordance with the procedures prescribed in the latest edition of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater.
That part of the lowest horizontal piping of building plumbing which receives the discharge from water fixtures and other sanitary pipes inside the walls of the building and conveys it to the building sewer lateral beginning five feet (1.5 meters) outside the inner face of the building wall.
The extension from the building drain to the public sewer or other place of disposal; it may also be called a "house connection."
National categorical pretreatment standards or pretreatment standards.
The oxygen equivalent of the organic matter that can be oxidized as measured by using a strong chemical oxidizing agent in an acidic medium.
The City of Meriden.
Biochemical oxygen demand, suspended solids, pH and fecal coliform bacteria, plus any additional pollutants identified in the water pollution control facility's NPDES permit, where the water pollution control facility is designed to treat such pollutants and, in fact, does treat such pollutants to the degree required by the NPDES permit.
A mixture of aliquot samples obtained at regular intervals over a time period. The volume of each aliquot is proportional to the discharge flow rate for the sampling interval. The minimum time period for composite sampling shall be four hours.
Process water in general used for cooling purposes to which the only pollutant added is heat and which has such characteristics that it may be discharged to a natural outlet in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection of the State of Connecticut.
The authorized agent or representative of the Water Pollution Control Authority who is responsible for the operation and management of the sewer collection system and/or the associated water pollution control facility.
Sewage that consists of water and human excretions or other waterborne wastes incidental to the occupancy of a residential building, including residential water softening equipment, or a nonresidential building but not including manufacturing process water, cooling water, wastewater from water-softening equipment, commercial laundry wastewater, blowdown from heating or cooling equipment, water from cellar or floor drains, or surface water from roofs, paved surfaces or yard drains.
Any fats, oils, and grease generated from the food preparation process. All are sometimes referred to as "grease."
Oil, fat or grease in a physical state such that it will separate by gravity from sewage by treatment in an approved pretreatment facility.
The authorized agent or representative of the Water Pollution Control Authority who is responsible for the operation and management of the sewer collection system and/or the associated water pollution control facility.
Facilities who are required to obtain a FOG discharge permit including those who are: a) regulated by the Meriden Health Department and classified as a Class 3 or Class 4 food service establishment, as defined by the State Health Code; or b) engaged in similar cooking methods that have the potential to produce fats, oils, and grease. A Class 3 food service establishment may be exempt from obtaining a FOG discharge permit if it does not employ frying, sauteing, baking, or roasting of meats, use of rotisseries, grills, smokers, or other methods that have the potential to generate fats, oils, or grease.
The animal or vegetable waste resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking or serving of foods.
A sample which is taken from a waste stream on a one-time basis with no regard to the flow in the waste stream and without consideration of time.
A regional collection/transfer/disposal site approved in accordance with the law for the disposal of FOG. This means a Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) approved publicly/privately owned treatment works that is for the separation and disposal of FOG by incineration or other methods. Pursuant to § 22a-174-33 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies related to Title V source, an in-state regional incinerator must have an operating permit that lists FOG as a source of fuel.
The term "grease trap" is used collectively in this chapter to mean both AGRUs and outdoor grease traps.
Any person who collects the contents of a grease trap and transports it to a grease disposal facility. A hauler may also provide other services related to grease trap maintenance.
Any waste from holding tanks such as vessels, chemical toilets, campers, trailers and septage hauling trucks.
All pollutants other than compatible pollutants as previously defined. See "compatible pollutants."
An AGRU. See definition of "grease trap."
All wastewater from industrial processes, trade or business and is distinct from domestic sewage.
A permit issued pursuant to § 402 of the Act (33 U.S.C. § 1342).
Fats, oils, and grease generated from food preparation or serving that has come in contact with water or other contaminants shall prevent this FOG from being rendered. See "renderable grease."
A structure or device designed for the purpose of removing and preventing FOG from entering the public sanitary sewer system. These devices are often below-ground units built as two- or three-chamber baffled tanks.
The permittee represents the FPE and is authorized by the issuance of a FOG discharge permit to initiate, create, originate, or maintain a wastewater discharge from the FPE. Where applicable, the permittee shall be the owner or the owner's local designee.
Any individual, partnership, co-partnership, firm, company, corporation, association, joint-stock company, trust, estate, governmental entity or any other legal entity or its legal representatives, agents or assigns. The masculine gender shall include the feminine; the singular shall include the plural where indicated by the context.
The logarithm of the reciprocal of the hydrogen-ion concentration. The concentration is the weight of hydrogen ions, in grams, per liter of solution.
The reduction of the amount of pollutants, the elimination of pollutants or the alteration of the nature of pollutant properties in wastewater to a less harmful state prior to or in lieu of discharging or otherwise introducing such pollutants into a water pollution control facility. The reduction or alteration can be obtained by physical, chemical or biological processes, except as prohibited by 40 CFR 403.6(d) and provisions in this chapter.
The wastes from the preparation, cooking and dispensing of food that have been shredded to such a degree that all particles will be carried freely under the flow conditions normally prevailing in public sewers, with no particle greater than 1/2 inch (1 .27 centimeters) in any dimension. Properly shredded garbage shall not include wastes from food preparation establishments.
A common sanitary sewer controlled by a governmental agency or public utility.
The Public Utilities Commission of the City of Meriden as it is constituted by its Charter, with the powers and duties granted it by the Charter and ordinances of said City.[1]
The uncontaminated FOG from the food preparation process that can be used as a source of material that is free of impurities and can be recycled into products such as, but not limited to, animal feed or cosmetics.
A business or place which prepares foods for sale in other than its original unopened container.
A sewer which collects and conveys domestic sewage from residences, public buildings, commercial establishments, industries and institutions. A sanitary sewer may also collect and convey permitted industrial wastewater and unintentionally admitted groundwater, stormwater and surface water.
The liquids and solids which are removed from a tank used to treat domestic sewage.
Human and animal excretions and all domestic and such manufacturing wastes as may tend to be detrimental to the public health or otherwise contravene stream standards as established by the DEEP.
The structures and equipment required to collect and convey sewage to the WPCF.
Any sudden or excessive discharge which exceeds permitted levels either in terms of pollutant concentration or instantaneous flow rate in such a manner as to adversely affect the sewage collection system and/or the water pollution control facility.
Oil which is of either mineral or vegetable origin and disperses in water or sewage at temperatures between 0° C. and 65° C. For the purposes of this chapter, emulsified oil shall be considered as soluble oil.
A sewer which collects and conveys stormwater or groundwater.
The solid matter, measured in milligrams per liter, which may be in suspension, floatable or settleable and is removable by laboratory filtering as prescribed in the latest edition of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater.
Any pollutant or combination of pollutants listed as toxic in regulations promulgated by the Administrator of the EPA under the provisions of § 307(a) of the Act or other acts.
Ultimate oxygen demand. Equivalent of 1.5 times the biochemical oxygen demand plus 4.6 times the ammonia (NH3). Used as control parameter for WPCF effluent, as established in NPDES permit.
Any person who contributes, causes or permits the contribution of sewage into the City's sewer system.
An arrangement of devices for the treatment of sewage and sludge.
A natural or artificial channel for the passage of water, either continuously or intermittently.
Editor's Note: See Ch. 6, Art. XV, Public Utilities Commission.
"May" is permissive; "shall" is mandatory.
The owner(s) of all houses, buildings or properties used for human occupancy, employment, recreation or other purposes situated within the City and abutting on any street, alley or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located a public sanitary sewer of the City may, at the option of the City and at the expense of the owner(s), be required to install a building sewer to connect his (their) building drain to the public sewer in accordance with the provisions of this chapter within 90 days after the date of official notice to do so.
It shall be unlawful for any person to construct or repair any privy, privy vault, septic tank, cesspool or other facility intended for the disposal of sewage if public sewers are available.
No unauthorized person(s) shall uncover, make any connections with or opening into, use, alter, repair or disturb any public sewer or appurtenance thereof.
Any person proposing a new discharge into the public sewer system or a substantial change in the volume or character of pollutants that are being discharged into the public sewer system shall notify the Director of Public Utilities or designee at least 45 days prior to the proposed change or connection.
A person intending to connect a building drain from his property to the public sewer shall first obtain a permit to connect from the Engineering Division. The application shall be made on forms provided by the Engineering Division and it shall be accompanied by a sketch or plan showing the proposed installation in sufficient detail to enable the Engineering Division to determine that the proposed installation meets the requirements of this regulation and other applicable specifications, codes and laws. The application shall be signed by the qualified contractor (see Subsection P of this section) who has been chosen to perform the work of installing and connecting the building drain to the public sewer. Upon approval of the application and plan, a permit shall be issued to have the work performed by the stated contractor. In the event that the premises changes ownership before the work is completed, or if another contractor is chosen to perform or finish the work, the original permit becomes void and a new permit must be obtained by the parties in interest. The PUC may, in its discretion, allow service pipes or sewer service to consumers other than the owners of the premises served, upon the filing by such consumers of the application required by this subsection.
Prior to obtaining a permit to connect, the applicant or his authorized representative shall provide adequate documentation to the Engineering Division to indicate how the connection is proposed. The Engineering Division and/or the PUC shall review the application to determine if the proposal is acceptable or if changes are required. It shall be unlawful for any person who has received such a permit to do any acts in a manner other than that prescribed in such permit or to connect with any such sewer at any hub or slant pipe other than the one approved in such permit.
A connection to the public sewer will be made only after the building's plumbing has been approved by the City Building Inspector in order to ensure the minimum standards are met for the installation. A fresh air vent shall be required for the building, and all plumbing shall be in good working order. No trench containing a building drain or connection to the sanitary sewer shall be backfilled until the Engineering Division has completed an inspection of and approved the work. The water level in the trench shall be maintained at a level below the sewer connection before the cap is removed and while the connection is being made and until such time as it has been inspected, approved and backfilled. The contractor shall notify the Engineering Division 48 hours before starting any work authorized under this permit.
Permits to connect to the public sewer may be revoked and annulled by the Director of Public Utilities or designee for such case and at such times as he may deem sufficient and the City held harmless as a consequence of said revocation or the cause thereof. All other parties in interest shall be held to have waived the right to claim damages from the City or its agents on account of such revocation.
All costs and expenses incidental to the installation and connection of the building sewer from the building to the sanitary sewer main, including the wye connection, shall be borne by the owner(s). The owner(s) shall indemnify the City from any loss or damage that may directly or indirectly be occasioned by the installation of the building sewer.
A separate and independent building sewer shall be provided for every building, except that where one building stands at the rear of another on an interior lot and no public sewer is available or can be constructed to the rear building through an adjoining alley, courtyard or driveway, the building sewer that provides service for the building which fronts on the public sewer may be extended to the rear building and the whole considered as one building sewer, but the City does not and will not assume any obligation or responsibility for damage caused by or resulting from any such aforementioned connection. Whenever a lateral is shared between two or more properties and/or buildings, a maintenance agreement must be written and filed on the public land records via the City Clerk's office for all properties involved with said maintenance agreement.
Where outdoor grease traps are in use, separate wastewater lines shall be provided to convey the sanitary wastewater directly to the public sanitary collection system. Wastewater from the kitchen and clean-up areas shall be conveyed to the grease trap and then to the public sanitary collection system.. In no case shall sanitary wastewater be allowed to enter a grease trap.
Existing building sewers may be used in connection with new buildings only when the proposal is approved by the Engineering Division.
The size, slope, alignment, materials of construction of a building sewer and the methods to be used in excavating, placing of the pipe, jointing, testing and backfilling and trenching and connection of the building sewer to the public sewer shall all conform to the requirements of the building and plumbing code or other applicable rules and regulations of the City. In the absence of Code provisions or in amplification thereof, the materials and procedures set forth in the appropriate specification of the American Society for Testing and Materials and WPCF Manual of Practice No. 9 shall apply. No connections shall be made with any public sanitary or stormwater sewer otherwise than by drainpipe, which shall be six inches in diameter. Every drain connecting premises with the City sanitary sewer shall be laid to a uniform grade and line, with a fall throughout its length toward the public sewer of not less than one foot per 100 feet.
Whenever possible, the building sewer shall be brought to the building at an elevation below the basement floor. In all buildings in which any building drain is too low to permit gravity flow to the public sewer, sanitary sewage carried by such building drain shall be lifted by an approved means and discharged to the building sewer. Duplex lift systems shall be provided for commercial and industrial buildings.
No person(s) shall make connection of roof downspouts, foundation drains, areaway drains or other sources of surface runoff or groundwater to a building sewer or building drain which in turn is connected directly or indirectly to a public sanitary sewer.
All excavations for building sewer installation shall be adequately guarded with barricades and lights so as to protect the public from hazard. Streets, sidewalks, parkways and other public property disturbed in the course of the work shall be restored in a manner satisfactory to the City.
No building sewer shall be constructed within 25 feet of a water supply well. If a building sewer is constructed within 25 to 75 feet of a water supply well, it shall be constructed in accordance with all applicable guidelines and regulations.
Any sanitary sewer lateral to be laid to connect a building to a City sanitary sewer main shall not extend beyond the projected side property lines of the parcel unless otherwise approved by the Public Utilities Commission and shall not exceed 100 feet without a cleanout. A cleanout is also required at a change of piping direction.
All building sewers shall be installed by a drainlayer who possesses a valid license issued under Chapter 393 of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended. In addition thereto, no person shall make any connection with any public sanitary or stormwater sewer in the City unless he is licensed and obtained all necessary permits, and no person shall employ any unlicensed person to do such work.
Every person so licensed shall file with the Engineering Division a surety bond, payable to the City, in the sum of $4,000, conditioned that the licensee will indemnify and save harmless the City from all loss, cost or damage arising out of or in connection with any work done under such license.
All building sewers from the sewer main to the building shall be, in general, installed and maintained by and at the expense of the property owner(s) whose property is being serviced. Whenever the Director of Public Utilities or designee is informed or learns that a cavity, depression or other abnormality in the public street is or may be caused by disrepair in the public sewer or building sewer, the Director of Public Utilities or designee will ascertain if the public sewer or building sewer is the cause. If it is determined that such cavity or other abnormality is caused or contributed to by disrepair of the public sewer, the Director of Public Utilities or designee shall proceed to make the necessary repairs. However, if it is determined by the Director of Public Utilities or designee that such cavity, depression or other abnormality is caused by the building sewer, the property owner(s) shall be notified of such finding and shall engage a licensed drainlayer to make the necessary repairs under the supervision of the Director of Public Utilities or designee and at no expense to the City.
Whenever the Director of Public Utilities or designee is informed or learns of a sewer stoppage, the Director of Public Utilities or designee shall ascertain if the public sewer is clear. Any stoppages found therein will be relieved as quickly as possible. If the public sewer is found to be clear, the property owner(s) having made a complaint of sewer stoppage shall be so notified and shall then engage a licensed plumber, reputable cleaner or licensed drainlayer to clear any stoppages in the building sewer.
The PUC may at any time order a water meter for sewer service placed on any water service connection if it deems it in the best interest of the City to do so, and any property owner, upon notification by the PUC, shall allow a representative of the Water Division to enter upon his premises to install such a meter. Upon application by the consumer, a meter shall be placed on any service previously unmetered. The consumer shall provide a proper place for the installation of a meter immediately inside the building wall, which shall be of easy access at all times for reading and repair. The Director of Public Works, or his representatives, shall determine the size of the meter installed on any service and may determine when any meter shall be repaired or replaced.
Water meters for sewer service shall not be supplied to a new account until a proper and adequate water meter setter has been provided by the owner immediately inside the building wall which shall be of easy access at all times for meter reading and repair, the required fee for the proper size meter has been paid to the Water Division by the owner, and the Water Division has installed and sealed the required meter. The PUC shall act as an appeals board to determine when and if a frost-proof meter pit shall be required rather than a meter location within the building.
The fee for the installation of new meters shall be determined through the Water Division.
Backwater valves must be installed on all plumbing fixtures (including washing machines, toilets, sinks, showers, bathtubs, etc.) that are below the elevation of the nearest upstream sanitary sewer manhole cover.