[Adopted 6-3-2002 by Ord. No. 1238-2002 (Ch. 186A, Art. III, of the 1975 Code)]
For the purpose of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Includes every individual who shall operate a vehicle as the owner thereof, or as the agent, employee or permittee of the owner, or who is in actual physical control of the vehicle.
- PARKING METER
- Includes any mechanical device or meter not inconsistent with this article placed or erected for the regulation of parking by authority of this article. Each parking meter installed shall indicate by proper legend the legal parking time established by the Borough and, when operated, shall at all times indicate the balance of legal parking time and, at the expiration of such period, shall indicate illegal or overtime parking.
- PARKING METER SPACE
- Any space within a parking meter zone or in a lot designated for parking which is duly designated for the parking of a single vehicle by lines painted or otherwise durably marked on the curb or on the surface of the street adjacent to or adjoining the parking meters.
- PARKING TICKET MACHINE
- An electronic multispace parking management system designed to control numerous parking spaces in a prepaid facility.
- PARK or PARKING
- The standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, upon a street otherwise than in obedience to traffic regulations, signs or signals.
- Includes any individual, firm, copartnership, association or corporation.
- Any public street, avenue, road, alley, highway, lane, path or other public place located in the Borough of Edgewater and established for the use of vehicles.
- Any device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported upon a highway, except a device which is operated upon rails or tracks.
[Amended 12-2-2002 by Ord. No. 1259-2002]
The parking area owned and maintained by the Borough and designated as Block 53, Lot 1, and part of Lot 2.02, also known as the parking lot across from the Municipal Building, as depicted on the Tax Assessment Map, shall constitute a parking meter area or zone.
The parking area owned and maintained by the Borough and designated as Block 34, Lot 1.01, also known as the Route 5 Memorial Parking Lot, as depicted on the Tax Assessment Map, shall constitute a parking meter area or zone.
The southerly side of Hilliard Avenue, from Edgewater Place to McCurry Lane shall constitute a parking meter area or zone.
[Added 4-21-2003 by Ord. No. 1271-2003]
[Amended 9-20-2010 by Ord. No. 1439-2010]
No person shall park a vehicle in the parking meter area or zone set forth in § 282-17 unless the vehicle is parked in a parking space in front of which a parking meter is installed or a numbered spot is marked and unless the operator of the vehicle deposits in the meter the coins or bills required by this article and designated on the parking meter. Any person who violates or fails to comply shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to a fine in the amount of $50 for each violation.
[Amended 4-21-2003 by Ord. No. 1271-2003]
Between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on each day, except for Sundays and legal holidays, the maximum time limit for parking in the areas set forth in § 282-17C shall be two hours.
Parking in a designated space in the parking meter area shall be lawful only for the period of time as set forth in Subsection A of this section and upon the depositing of $0.25 per half hour or $0.50 for each hour up to two hours, and $1 for each hour after two hours, up to the maximum of four hours' parking, as applicable.
The Borough shall install parking meters or mechanical devices and designate parking meter spaces or zones as provided in this article and subject to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 39:4-138.
Parking meters or mechanical devices installed in the parking meter area or zone established in § 282-17 shall be on the curb immediately adjacent to individual parking spaces or in a location highly visible to motorists. Each parking meter shall be placed so as to display a signal indicating whether the parking space adjacent to the meter is legally in use. Each mechanical device shall be placed so as to identify which parking spaces are legally in use.
Each parking meter or mechanical device shall indicate the following:
Signs shall be placed in proximity to parking meters or zones indicating the hours and days when meter parking shall be enforced.
The Borough shall designate parking spaces controlled by parking meters and mechanical devices.
Operators of vehicles parked in the parking meter area or zone set forth in § 282-17 shall park vehicles in parking spaces designated by meters or numbered spaces. Operators shall park vehicles in parking spaces so that the front of the vehicle is nearest to the parking meter, or facing away from the number side.
An operator parking a vehicle in a parking space within the parking meter area or zone shall immediately deposit in the adjacent parking meter or mechanical device sufficient coin as designed by the meter so that the meter registers parking time by its dial and pointer. No operator shall permit a vehicle to remain parked in parking space adjacent to a meter or numbered space indicating expired or overtime parking, except during days and hours set forth in § 282-19.
The registered owner of a vehicle shall be liable for violations of this article by the operator of the vehicle.
No person shall deposit any device or substitute for a United States coin in any parking meter or mechanical device located in any parking meter area or zone as set forth in § 282-17.
No person shall wilfully deface, destroy or tamper with any parking meter or mechanical device located in the parking meter area or zone as set forth in § 282-17.
Police officers or other authorized officers shall place on vehicles parked in violation of this article a notice informing the owner or operator that the vehicle has been parked in violation of a provision of this article. Such notice shall contain the following information:
The number on the parking meter in violation of this article;
The state license number of the vehicle parked in violation of this article;
The date and time during which a vehicle is parked in violation of this article;
The notice shall instruct the owner or operator to report at the Violations Bureau of the Borough of Edgewater in regard to the violation.
Other facts necessary to the understanding of the circumstances attending a violation of this article.
An owner or operator of a motor vehicle may, within 24 hours preceding the court date appearing on the summons when a notice as set forth in § 282-30 was placed on the vehicle, waive hearing and pay to the Clerk of the Edgewater Municipal Court in satisfaction of a penalty for an overtime violation the sum of $20.
[Amended 9-20-2010 by Ord. No. 1439-2010]
Any person who violates or fails to comply with any provision of this article shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to a fine in the amount of $50 for each violation.
The Borough is hereby authorized to issue, subject to approval by the governing body, permits, cards or stickers for use by municipal employees, whereby vehicles displaying valid permits, cards or stickers may stand or be parked without limitation by parking time restrictions established by this article. Vehicles not displaying valid permits, cards or stickers may stand or be parked only upon complying with the provisions of this article.
[Added 12-2-2002 by Ord. No. 1259-2002]
No vehicle having a length of more than 18 feet nor a width of more than nine feet shall be permitted to park within a metered parking area.