[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Sag Harbor 8-30-1932 by Ord. No. 13 (Ch. 8 of the 1968 Compilation). Amendments noted where applicable.]
For the purpose of this chapter the Village of Sag Harbor establishes building lines on a portion of the east side of Main Street and a portion of the east side of Madison Street. The building lines of said streets are hereby established in accordance with the description hereinafter set forth: Beginning at a point on the easterly side of Madison Street, which said point is north 4° 08' 15" east 124.72' from the northeast corner of Madison and Sage Streets; thence north 21° 48' 45" east 282.68' to point on the easterly side of Madison or Main Street, which said point is south 84° 04' 30" east 131.42' from a point on the westerly side of Main Street, which said latter point is north 31° 41' 30" east 47.10' from the northwest corner of Main and Spring Streets; thence north 20° 48' east 179.38' to the southeast corner of Main and Washington Streets, said building line being identical with the street line as laid out on map defining street lines, Village of Sag Harbor, New York, made by H. F. Bishop, C. E. Westhampton Beach, New York, 1927-1928, and duly adopted as the Official Map of the Village of Sag Harbor.
No person, persons, firm or corporation shall construct, rebuild, alter or repair, or cause to be constructed, rebuilt, altered or repaired, any building or structure, fences, hedges or obstructions on any portion of the above-named streets where a building line is established, except the front of such building, structure, fence, hedge or obstruction coincides with the building lines as established herein. The cornice of a single-story building, providing same is 14 feet above sidewalk grade, may overhang building line 1 1/2 feet. The cornice of a two-or-more-story building may overhang building line 2 1/2 feet.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Except as hereinabove qualified, any alteration or additions to any building or structure, or any structural or architectural changes involving any more than 1/3 of any wall or roof.
- A new building or structure, or a building or structure in a new location.
- FRONT OF A BUILDING
- That portion of the building or wall adjacent and parallel to the building line.
- Replacing 1/2 or more of any outside or party wall or roof, or restoring any damage which has reduced the value of any such wall or roof immediately prior to such damage 50% or more. The percentage of damage shall govern and not the amount or extent of replacement.
- Any work in the performance of which new or other material is affixed to more than 1/3 of the area of an outside wall or roof of a building or structure.
Nothing herein contained shall be construed to apply to a building used exclusively as a private dwelling or a dwelling used for the practice of any profession, except that no part of such private dwelling or residence shall be built or placed so that any part of the same shall be upon the area lying between the established building line and the center line of the street.
Any person, persons, firm or corporation violating the provisions of this chapter shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding $100 for each offense.
Each day that any such violation continues shall constitute and be construed as a separate offense.
Any violation of this chapter shall constitute disorderly conduct and any person found violating such ordinance shall be a disorderly person.
The foregoing ordinance shall become effective on the 10th day of September 1932.