[HISTORY: Adopted by the Common Council of the City of Ithaca 9-5-2012 by Ord. No. 2012-08. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to protect the integrity of City bridges and the safety of those who use those bridges, and more particularly to ensure that no one interferes with the efficacy of the safety mesh under City bridges, to minimize expense in maintaining bridges and the safety mesh under the bridges, to prevent injury to people on, under or nearby bridges, prevent objects from being thrown and dropped from bridges, and to preserve and protect bridge structures.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any structure that spans any physical obstacle for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle.
- BRIDGE STRUCTURE
- Any part of a bridge, including the bridge deck, supporting structure, railings, fencing, guardrails, safety mesh, and any part attached thereto or intended to monitor or maintain a bridge, including video surveillance equipment.
- CITY BRIDGE
- Any bridge structure, including any bridge structure not owned by the City of Ithaca, within the boundaries of the City of Ithaca that is open to the public, including bridge structures intended for automobiles, rail traffic, pedestrians and bicycle traffic.
- The cost to restore any damaged City bridge to its condition prior to damage. Restitution shall include the costs to repair damages caused by prohibited acts contained in this chapter, including but not limited to costs to retrieve objects, costs to repair safety mesh, costs to remove graffiti, costs of rescue, and administrative costs associated with any of the foregoing.
- SAFETY MESH
- Any material placed on, near, or under a City bridge that is intended to prevent injury from falling from a bridge or to protect from being hit by objects falling or thrown from a bridge.
No person shall jump, step off or otherwise go over the side of a City bridge, or cause another to do so.
When walking on a City bridge that has sidewalks, pedestrians shall walk only on those sidewalks.
No person shall climb, step on, or walk on any fence, railing, guardrail, or other siding on a City bridge.
No person shall throw, drop, or permit or otherwise cause any object to go over the side of a City bridge.
No person shall climb on, jump on, or throw or drop or cause an object to be dropped on safety mesh that is attached to a City bridge.
No person shall cause, or act in a way that causes, damage to safety mesh.
No person shall deface, draw on, paint, or mark any part of a City bridge without proper authorization.
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter is guilty of an offense punishable by no less than a fine of $100 or 25 hours of community service nor more than $1,000 and 15 days in jail. Any penalty imposed may also include restitution as defined in this chapter.