[Code 1983; CC 2000 §1-101]
The Chapters, Articles and Sections herein shall constitute and may be designated as the Code of the City of Mission, Kansas, and may be so cited.
[Code 1987; CC 2000 §1-102]
In the construction of this Code and of all ordinances of the City, the following definitions and rules shall be observed, unless such construction would be inconsistent with the manifest intent of the Governing Body or the context clearly requires otherwise:
- The City of Mission, Kansas.
- "The Code of the City of Mission, Kansas".
- COMPUTATION OF TIME
- The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first (1st) and including the last day; and if the last day be a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, that day shall be excluded.
- The County of Johnson in the State of Kansas.
- DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
- Whenever a provision appears requiring or authorizing the head of a department or officer of the City to do some act or perform some duty, it shall be construed to authorize such department head or officer to designate, delegate and authorize subordinates to do the required act or perform the required duty unless the terms of the provision designate otherwise.
- Words importing the masculine gender only may be extended to females.
- GOVERNING BODY
- The Mayor and City Council of the City, or those persons appointed to fill a vacancy in the office of Mayor or the City Council as provided in this Code.
- IN THE CITY
- Includes all territory over which the City now has, or shall hereafter acquire, jurisdiction for the exercise of its Police powers or other regulatory powers.
- JOINT AUTHORITY
- All words giving a joint authority to three (3) or more public officers or other persons shall be construed as giving such authority to a majority of them, unless it is otherwise expressed in the act giving the authority.
- LAND, REAL ESTATE AND REAL PROPERTY
- Includes lands, tenements and hereditaments, and all rights to them and interest in them, equitable, as well as legal.
- A calendar month.
- Words importing the singular number only may be extended to several persons or things, and words importing the plural number only may be applied to one (1) person or thing.
- Includes an affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in similar cases "swear" includes affirm.
- OFFICERS, DEPARTMENTS, ETC.
- Officers, departments, boards, commissions and employees referred to in this Code shall mean officers, departments, boards, commissions and employees of the City, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
- Applied to a building or land, shall include not only the owner of the whole but any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common or joint tenant of the whole or a part of such building or land.
- May be extended to bodies politic and corporate.
- Includes personal and real property.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Includes lands, tenements and hereditaments, and all rights thereto and interest therein, equitable as well as legal.
- Is mandatory; MAY: Is permissive.
- Any portion of a street between the curb line and the adjacent property line intended for the use of pedestrians.
- SIGNATURE, SUBSCRIPTION
- Includes a mark when the person cannot write, when his/her name is written near such mark and is witnessed by a person who writes his/her own name as a witness.
- The State of Kansas.
- Includes public streets, avenues, boulevards, highways, roads, alleys, lanes, viaducts, bridges and the approaches thereto and all other public thoroughfares in the City.
- TENANT OR OCCUPANT
- Applied to a building or land, shall include any person holding a written or oral lease of or who occupies the whole or a part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- Words used in the past or present tense include the future, as well as the past and present.
- WRITING OR WRITTEN
- Includes printing, engraving, lithography and any other mode of representing words and letters, except those cases where the written signature or the mark of any person is required by law.
- A calendar year, except where otherwise provided.
[Code 1983; CC 2000 §1-103]
The matter in parenthesis at the ends of Sections is for information only and is not a part of the Code. Citations to ordinances indicate only the source and the text may or may not be changed by this Code. This Code is a new enactment under the provisions of K.S.A. 12-3014 and 12-3015. Reference matter not in parenthesis is for information only and is not a part of this Code.
[Code 1983; CC 2000 §1-104]
The catchlines or headings of the Sections of this Code are intended as mere words to indicate the contents of the Sections and shall not be deemed or taken to be Titles of such Sections, nor as any part of any Section nor, unless expressly so provided, shall they be so deemed when any Section, including its catchline, is amended or re-enacted.
[Code 1983; CC 2000 §1-105]
Any portion of this Code may be amended by specific reference to the Section number as follows: "That Section __________ of the Code of the City of Mission is hereby amended to read as follows: (The Section as amended shall then be set out in full)." A new Section not heretofore existing in the Code may be added as follows: "That the Code of the City of Mission is hereby amended by adding a Section (or Article or Chapter) which reads as follows: (The new Section shall be set out in full). . ." All Sections or Articles or Chapters to be repealed shall be repealed by specific reference as follows: Section (or Article or Chapter) __________ of the Code of the City of Mission is hereby repealed.
[Code 1983; CC 2000 §1-114]
It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to change, amend by additions or deletions any part or portion of this Code, or to insert or delete pages or portions thereof, or to alter or tamper with such Code in any manner whatsoever which will cause the law of the City of Mission to be misrepresented thereby. This restriction shall not apply to amendments or revisions of this Code authorized by ordinance duly adopted by the Governing Body.