[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Riverhead 9-6-1988 by L.L. No. 4-1988 (Ch. 61A of the 1976 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be known and cited as the "Environmental Safety and Zoning Act of the Town of Riverhead."
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The relationship which results from the manifestation of consent by one person to another that the other shall act on his behalf and subject to his control and consent by the other to so act.
- BY-PRODUCT MATERIALS
- Any radioactive material, except special nuclear material, yielded in or made radioactive by exposure to the radiation incident to the process of producing or utilizing special nuclear material.
- A branch or division of governmental administration.
- NUCLEAR POWER PLANT
- Any stationary unit which generates all forms of energy release in the course of nuclear fission or nuclear transformation.
- SPECIAL NUCLEAR MATERIAL
- Plutonium, uranium enriched in the isotope 233 or in the isotope 235 and any other material which the Nuclear Regulatory Commission deems to be source material or ores containing one or more of the foregoing materials, in such concentration as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission may, by regulation, determine.
- WASTE DISPOSAL CENTER
- A facility where nuclear waste is disposed of in such a way as to be permanently isolated from the environment for a period of time that is necessary for such wastes to become harmless, even if such facility contains a means for retrieving such wastes.
- ZONED DISTRICT
- Those parts or sections of land within the boundaries of the Town of Riverhead specifically designated for certain permitted uses of such land.
The construction and operation of nuclear power plants shall be prohibited from any zoned district in the Town of Riverhead.
No by-product materials nor special nuclear material shall be transported on Riverhead Town roads, streets or highways within the Town of Riverhead.
The construction and operation of waste disposal centers to store, collect or dispose of by-product materials shall be prohibited from all zoning districts within the Town of Riverhead.
Whosoever violates the provisions of this chapter shall be punished by a fine of $1,000 and imprisonment for six months, and vehicles and equipment used in connection with the violation shall be seized.