Cross Reference — As to removal, defacing or destruction of village signs, §210.1250.
[R.O. 2012 §525.010; CC 1987 §49.010]
For the purposes of this Chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this Section:
- The Building Commissioner of the Village.
- OFF-SITE SIGN
- Any sign that does not pertain to the use or business upon which it is attached.
- POST SIGNS
- Any letter, word, model, sign, device or representation used in the nature of an advertisement or announcement not attached to a building and which is supported by a stationary pole, poles or standing letters.
- ROOF SIGNS
- Any sign erected, constructed or maintained upon the roof of any building.
- Any outdoor thing or device employed to publicly display notice, advertisement or propaganda by the use of letters, words, characters, figures, pictures or other graphical means.
- SIGN AREA
- In determining the amount of maximum sign area, the following outside measurements shall be as follows:
- 1. Square or rectangular signs; length times height of all faces of signs.
- 2. Irregularly shaped signs; areas of rectangles or triangles or combinations thereof necessary to enclose all faces of signs.
- 3. Signs made of individual cut-out letters; the sum of area of triangles or receptacles required to enclose all letters on all faces of signs.
- 4. "V" type signs in excess of ninety degrees (90°); the sum of the area of all faces of signs.
- 5. Electrical equipment and pole covers shall not be counted in measuring sign area.
- TEMPORARY SIGN
- A display sign or other advertising device constructed of cloth, canvas, fabric or other light temporary material, with or without a structural form, intended for limited period of display including decorative displays for holidays or public demonstrations; grand openings for new or changed-ownership businesses.
- WALL SIGN, FRONT
- Any sign on a surface, or plane, that is affixed against and parallel to the front of any building.
- WALL SIGN, SIDE
- Any sign on a surface, or plane, that is affixed against and parallel to the side of any building.
[R.O. 2012 §525.020; CC 1987 §49.020]
The provisions of this Chapter shall govern the construction, erection, alteration, repair and maintenance of all signs and outdoor display structures, together with their appurtenant and auxiliary devices in respect to the structure, fire safety, fees and permits.
[R.O. 2012 §525.030; CC 1987 §49.030]
Except as otherwise provided in this Chapter, no person shall erect or maintain any sign described in this Chapter until a permit therefor shall have been issued by the Building Commissioner to do so, pursuant to an application therefor, accompanied by plans and specifications showing dimensions, materials and details of construction of the proposed structure; nor until all of the provisions of this Chapter, the Zoning Code, and the Building Code relating to such structure shall have been complied with.
[R.O. 2012 §525.040; CC 1987 §49.040; Ord. No. 1000 Art. VI, 11-18-2010]
The fee for permits under this Chapter shall be twenty dollars ($20.00) for each sign.
A permit fee shall be required for any sign upon the side of an existing building or a sign placed on the front of a building occupied and used for business purposes which advertised the business therein conducted.
No permit shall issue for a sign erected in vacant lots or for a sign that does not pertain to the use or business conducted therein.
[R.O. 2012 §525.050]
No sign which exceeds six (6) square feet in area may be displayed in the "A" Residential Single-Family Dwelling District in the Village of Hanley Hills. Signs stating the property is for sale may be displayed in accordance with Section 525.090 hereof.
[R.O. 2012 §525.060; CC 1987 §49.070]
It shall be unlawful for any person to erect, repair, alter, relocate, maintain or construct any post, roof or temporary signs of any kind or description.
[R.O. 2012 §525.070; CC 1987 §49.080]
Nothing in this Chapter shall require the removal or discontinuance of a sign legally existing as of July 31, 1977, which is not thereafter altered, rebuilt, enlarged, extended or relocated; provided that this provision shall not relieve the owner or lessee thereof from the duty of safely maintaining such sign and paying the inspection fees as provided in this Chapter.
[R.O. 2012 §525.080; CC 1987 §49.090]
This Chapter shall be administered and enforced by the Building Commissioner.
[R.O. 2012 §525.090; Ord. No. 494 §§I — IV, 10-16-1986; Ord. No. 501 §I, 3-5-1987]
In accordance with Section 67.317, RSMo., an owner of real property zoned single-family residence in the Village of Hanley Hills, or his/her agent, may display on the property one (1) sign, and one (1) sign only, advertising:
No other information, writing, letters or numbers may be affixed to or displayed at any time on said sign except those specially authorized in Subsection (A) of this Section.
In addition, no sign and its post shall:
Any person, firm or corporation desiring to place any such sign within the Village of Hanley Hills shall first obtain from the Village Clerk a permit for said sign. The Clerk shall issue said permit after receiving a proper application. Said application shall state: