City of El Paso, IL
Woodford County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of El Paso 1977 by Ord. No. 493 (Ch. 8.16 of the 1979 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
Unsafe buildings — See Ch. 144.
Manufactured home parks — See Ch. 203.
Sanitary standards — See Ch. 236.
Solid waste — See Ch. 245.
Trees and plant material — See Ch. 280.
It is unlawful for any person to create, cause, or permit a nuisance to exist or be maintained within the City.
[Amended 1978 by Ord. No. 504; 1986 by Ord. No. 598; 1986 by Ord. No. 599; 1999 by Ord. No. 736]
The following are declared, defined and deemed to be nuisances for the purpose of this chapter; provided, however, that the following shall not be deemed to be exclusive:
All substances which emit or cause foul, obnoxious, unhealthful, putrid, noisome or disagreeable odor or effluvia, and which are objectionable or offensive to any person or persons residing near the same or to any person passing along any street, sidewalk or alley near the same.
All carcasses of animals remaining exposed for 12 hours after death.
Any growth of weeds, grasses or bushes to a height greater than eight inches; provided, however, that this subsection shall not apply to planted and cultivated flowers, shrubbery or other landscaping.
All slop, foul or dirty water, filth, refuse or offal, discharged in or upon any street, avenue, sidewalk, alley, park, public square or public or private enclosure, or allowed to accumulate there, or in a pond or pool.
All articles or things whatsoever, caused, kept, maintained or permitted by any person to the injury, inconvenience, danger, detriment or annoyance of the public health, safety, or welfare.
The keeping or allowing to remain on any premises of any trees, shrubs or other vegetation infected with fungus or other diseases that will or might spread to other noninfected trees, shrubs, or other vegetation.
All buildings or structures, the condition of which, through neglect or otherwise, has caused the building to become dangerous or detrimental to the public health, safety or welfare of the inhabitants of the City.
Any abandoned or partially dismantled, nonoperating, unlicensed, wrecked or junked vehicle or a vehicle in a state of substantial disrepair on any street, highway or public place in the City; and any such vehicle stored in the open on any private property for more than seven days.
Suffering any premises where any animal is kept to become noxious, foul or offensive to any neighborhood, family or person.
Throwing or depositing any offal or other offensive matter or the carcass of any animal in any watercourse, lake, pond, sewer lagoon, spring, well or street, alley, public highway or park.
Any tree or shrub which overhangs any sidewalk, street or other public place in the City in such a way as to impede or interfere with traffic or travel.
Any tree or limb of a tree which has become likely to fall on or across any public way.
Any uncovered pile of refuse, garbage, offal or carcasses of dead animals not buried at least two feet below the surface of the ground.
Any weeds such as jimson, burdock, ragweed, thistle, cockleburr or other weeds of a like kind found growing in any lot or tract of land in the City.
Any European Barberry, also known as Berberis Vulgaris or its horticultural varieties, located within the City.
An unkempt appearance existing on the parkway immediately adjacent to private property as caused by rubbish, debris or overgrown, uncultivated plant life. The parkway is defined to be the area between the property owner's real estate and the street or alley area surfaced by the City.
Any window or exterior door on a residence, including basement and cellar door hatchways, which is not generally weathertight and rodentproof; or is not equipped with all appropriate hardware; or is not capable of being easily opened (except for those windows designed to be permanently fixed) and any other window, exterior door or screen which is not kept in good repair.
[Added 12-2-2013 by Ord. No. 952]
[Amended 1978 by Ord. No. 504]
Whenever it comes to the attention of the Police Chief that there exists in the City any condition enumerated in § 211-2, he shall forthwith give the person in charge or control of the property thereof notice, served upon such person by a police officer of the City or by mailing such notice to his last known address, that such condition exists, and that he shall have seven days from the date of such service in which to remedy the same or the City shall cause the same to be remedied.
[Amended 1978 by Ord. No. 504]
If a person fails, refuses or neglects to remedy a nuisance within the time allowed after having been served a notice to abate such nuisance, the Police Chief may cause such condition to be remedied. Such action shall not provide a defense for failure to comply with this chapter. In the alternative, the City may, immediately after the expiration of the time specified in the notice, bring suit for violation of this chapter.[1]
Editor's Note: Original § 8.16.042 of the 1979 Code, Additional penalty for repeated violations, added by Ord. No. 784, which immediately followed this section, was repealed 2-6-2017 by Ord. No. 994.
[Amended 1977 by Ord. No. 504]
In the event that payment of the actual costs of the abatement of any nuisance by the City under the provisions of this chapter is not made on demand, such costs shall become a lien upon the property from which such nuisance was abated. The amount of such lien shall be added to the tax roll and collected as unpaid taxes. Any such lien may be foreclosed in the manner provided by law for the foreclosure of liens. In the alternative, the City may sue to recover the actual costs expended by the City in the abatement of any nuisance under the provisions of this code.[1]
Editor's Note: Original § 8.16.060 of the 1979 Code, Violation–Penalty, as amended, which immediately followed this section, was repealed 2-6-2017 by Ord. No. 994.