[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Penns Grove 9-3-1985 by Ord. No. 85-11 (Ch. 131 of the 1986 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
No person shall gamble or engage in a game of chance on any street, avenue, road, highway, sidewalk or public place within the Borough of Penns Grove.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Staking or risking something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under the actor's control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that the person will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.
- GAME OF CHANCE
- Any contest, game, pool, gaming scheme or gaming device in which the outcome depends in a material degree upon an element of chance, notwithstanding that skill of the contestants or some other persons may be a factor therein.
- A person who engages in any form of gaming solely as a contestant or bettor, without receiving or becoming entitled to receive any profit therefrom other than personal gambling winnings.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any place to which the public has access and shall include any street, highway, road, alley or sidewalk. It shall also include the front of any store, shop, restaurant, tavern or other place of business and public grounds, areas and parks, as well as parking lots or other vacant private property not owned by or under the control of the person charged with violating this chapter or, in the case of a minor, not owned or under the control of his parent or guardian.
- SOMETHING OF VALUE
- Any money or property, any object or article exchangeable for money or property, any form of credit or a promise directly or indirectly contemplating transfer of money or property or of any interest therein.
[Amended 7-5-2017 by Ord. No. 2017-5]
Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a penalty as provided in § 1-2 of this Code.
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prevent or prohibit any participation in any lawfully sanctioned gambling or gaming activity, such as but not limited to bingo, lotto or the New Jersey state lottery.