[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of Falls Township as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 3-21-2017 by Ord. No. 2017-02]
This article shall be known and may be cited as the "Hotel Registration Book Ordinance."
When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words in the plural number include the singular number, and words in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- A structure used for the purpose of furnishing for compensation more or less temporary lodging to the public; with or without meals, and having lodging accommodations for 10 or more individuals.
- MOTEL OR MOTOR COURT
- A structure or group of two or more detached or semidetached structures containing rooms or apartments having separate entrances provided directly or closely in connection with automobile parking or storage space serving such rooms or apartments, which structure or group of structures is designed, intended or used principally for the providing of sleeping accommodations for automobile travelers and is suitable for occupancy at all seasons of the year.
- Any person who pays money or rent to stay at a hotel or motel.
- Any individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- The Township of Falls, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
- VALID IDENTIFICATION
- An identification card issued by any state or federal governmental entity, including but not limited to driver's license, nondriver's identification card, passport or military identification card.
The purpose of this article is to require hotels and motels within the Township to maintain records of their occupants.
Every person within the Township who owns, keeps, maintains or controls any hotel, motel or other house or establishment where rooms for lodging are available shall provide, keep and maintain a register or registration system. Each person shall require every occupant who rents or occupies a room in any such establishment to write or cause to be legibly written in such register, or upon a registration card, his or her full name and place or residence that is verified by valid identification, which shall be identified on the register or registration card by identification number and expiration date. Every such registration shall be made upon a page of the register, or upon a registration card, properly dated with reference to the day of the year, month and time of the day the person rents or arranges to occupy such lodging. Every register or registration card shall also include which room the occupant is renting or occupying. Every occupant's vehicle description, including make, model and plate number, shall also be entered therein.
It shall be unlawful for any occupant to occupy a room in any establishment without entering or causing to be entered his or her true name in the register maintained by such establishment in compliance with the terms of this article.
Every hotel and motel shall keep its register or registration system records for three years. Records shall be maintained in such a manner as to provide ready access to law enforcement, subject to the provisions of § 137-4 herein.
Any person who violates or causes a violation of any of the provisions of this article shall, upon conviction in a summary proceeding, be liable for a penalty of not more than $1,000. Each day of violation shall be considered a separate offense.