[HISTORY: Adopted by the Village Board of the Village of Grafton as Title 18, Ch. 18.12, of the 1979 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
In this title, all terms used which are defined in Ch. 236, Wis. Stats., shall have the same meaning as ascribed thereto in that chapter and as that chapter may hereafter be amended, unless otherwise defined in this title or unless the context and/or subject matter clearly indicates otherwise. All words used in the present tense include the future tense; the singular includes the plural and the plural the singular; the word "person" includes associations, copartnerships or corporations; and the term "shall" is mandatory while the word "may" is permissive.
As used in this title, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this chapter.
- A public way affording secondary means of access to abutting property.
- BUILDING SETBACK LINE
- A line within a lot or parcel of land designated on a plat of a proposed subdivision, which creates a zone between itself and any abutting street line, within which the erection of an enclosed structure or portion thereof is prohibited.
- BUTT LOTS
- Lots the rear lot lines of which abut the side lot lines of other lots platted in the same block, not separated by an alley or other open space.
- CORRECTION INSTRUMENTS
- Any recordable document correcting distance, angles, directions, bearings, chords, block or lot numbers, street names and shall include all other details concerning the corrected item(s) shown on a recorded plat.
- A public right-of-way across a block to be used by pedestrians and/or for underground utilities.
- A quantity of land set aside or over or under which liberty, privilege or advantage in land without profit is dedicated, and is distinct from ownership of the land, is granted either to the public, a particular person, or a combination of both.
- FINAL PLAT
- A map or chart of a subdivision which has been accurately surveyed, clearly and definitely showing the streets, alleys, blocks, lots and other divisions thereof in such a manner that the same can be clearly and distinctly identified.
- A portion of a subdivision or other parcel of land intended as a unit for the purpose, whether immediate or future, of ownership or for building development.
- LOT WIDTH
- The width of a parcel of land measured along the minimum building setback line.
- MASTER PLAN
- Refers to the composite of the functional and geographic
elements of the Village's Comprehensive Plan or any segment thereof
in the form of plans, maps, charts and textual material as adopted
by the Village in the street or transportation plan, Official Map,
master sanitary sewer plan, master storm sewer plan, master water
main plan, or master established grade plan, or a combination of any
or all of them.[Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1.01, Code Adoption)]
- MINIMUM STREET WIDTH
- All streets having widths specified on the master plan or Official Map, and no full street shall be less than 60 feet wide, unless the Village Board otherwise permits by ordinance.
- MUNICIPALITY or VILLAGE
- The Village of Grafton.
- OFFICIAL MAP
- Refers to the official street plan as adopted by the Village, providing for the locations and widths of all types of streets.
- A portion of a subdivision or other land division not of standard "lot" size, but provided as a remnant of the subdivision, the intention of which is to either redivide it in the future into lots or combine it with one or more other adjacent outlots or lots in other subdivisions or land divisions to create buildable lots.
- OWNER or SUBDIVIDER
- Any firm, association, partnership, private corporation, public or quasi-public corporation, or a combination of any of them, or other legal entity having sufficient proprietary interest in the land sought to be subdivided to commence and maintain proceedings to subdivide the same.
- PLAN COMMISSION
- The Village Plan Commission.
- A map of a subdivision of land.
- PRELIMINARY PLAT
- A map showing the salient features of a proposed subdivision submitted to an approving authority for purposes of preliminary consideration.
- PROTECTIVE COVENANTS
- Contracts or agreements, whether recorded or unrecorded, entered into between private parties and impose a restriction on the use of all private property or with private parties and the Village with a subdivision for the benefit of property owners or the public, which provide mutual protection against undesirable aspects of development which would tend to impair stability of values and which may be enforced, either by private parties or by the Village.
- PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT
- Public sewer, water mains, stormwater relief provisions, highways and parkways, sidewalks, streetlighting, and shall include all other public improvements reasonable to be required by the Village Board or the Plan Commission, and shall not be limited because of express enumeration, whether or not such improvements are shown on the Official Map.
- RECORDING A PLAT
- The filing of the original of the final plat with the Register of Deeds.
- SIGHT DISTANCE
- A minimum sight distance affording clear visibility along the center line of all major streets.
- A division of a lot, parcel or tract of land by the owner thereof or his agent for the purpose of sale or of building developments, where:
- A. The act of division creates five or more parcels or building sites each of 1 1/2 acres or less in area; or
- B. Five or more parcels or building sites each of 1 1/2 acres or less in area are created by successive divisions within a period of five years; or
- C. The act of division involves the creating of a new street.
- SUBDIVISION DESIGN STANDARDS
- The guides, principles and specifications for the preparation of subdivision plans, indicating, among other things, the minimum and maximum dimensions of the various elements set forth in the preliminary plat.
- VILLAGE ATTORNEY
- The Village Attorney of the Village of Grafton.
- VILLAGE BOARD
- The Village Board of the Village of Grafton.
- VILLAGE CLERK AND/OR ADMINISTRATOR
- The Village Clerk and/or Village Administrator of the Village of Grafton.
- VILLAGE ENGINEER
- The Village Engineer of the Village of Grafton.