[HISTORY: Adopted by the Common Council of the City of Corbin City by Ord. No. 4-2008. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Word usage. For the purpose of this chapter and when not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
Definitions. For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings given herein:
- Putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish, as defined herein, and all other waste material which, if thrown, deposited or stored as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety and welfare.
- Any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- PRIVATE PREMISES
- Any dwelling house, building or other structure designed or used, either wholly or in part, for private residential purposes, whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, and shall include any yard, ground, walk, driveway, porch, steps or vestibule belonging or appurtenant to such dwelling house, building or other structure. It is also any building or other structure designed or used either wholly or in part for commercial, business or industrial purposes, subject to the above conditions and inclusions. It is also any open, vacant or unoccupied lot.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any streets, alleys or other public ways and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, grounds and buildings.
- PUBLIC STRUCTURE OR BUILDING
- Any structure or building owned or operated by the federal, county, state or local government or any governmental agency.
- All putrescible solid wastes (except body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles, dismantled automobiles and parts thereof, scrap metal, junk, machinery and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as papers, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery, building materials and similar materials.
- Every device in or upon a highway, including devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in or upon any street or other public place within the City, except in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles for collection or in official City dumps; provided, however, that said public receptacles shall not be used by persons owning or occupying property in the vicinity of said public receptacles for the deposit of domestic, commercial and industrial litter arising from the conduct of said activities.
No person shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the City the accumulation of litter from any building or lot from any public or private driveway. Persons owning or occupying property shall keep the sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
No person owning or occupying a place of business shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the City any litter from such place of business. Persons owning or occupying places of business within the City shall keep the gutter in front of their business premises free of litter.
No person while a driver or passenger in a vehicle shall throw or deposit litter upon any street or other public place within the City.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the City unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any load or contents of litter from being blown or deposited upon any street, alley or other public place; nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or truck within the township, the wheels or tires of which carry onto or deposit in any street, alley or other public place any mud, dirt, sticky substances or foreign matter of any kind.
No person shall throw or deposit any commercial or noncommercial handbill in or upon any street or other public place within the City, nor shall any person hand out or distribute or sell any commercial handbill in or upon any sidewalk, street or other public place within the City; provided, however, that it shall not be unlawful on any street or other public place within the City for any person to hand out or distribute, without charge to the receiver thereof, any noncommercial handbill to any person willing to accept it.
No person shall throw or deposit any commercial or noncommercial handbill in or upon any vehicle; provided, however, that it shall not be unlawful in any public place for a person to hand out or distribute, without charge to the receiver thereof, a noncommercial handbill to any occupant of a vehicle who is willing to accept it.
No person shall throw or deposit any commercial or noncommercial handbill in or upon any private premises which are temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant.
No person shall throw, deposit or distribute any commercial or noncommercial handbill upon any private premises if requested by anyone thereon not to do so or if there is placed on said premises in a conspicuous position near the entrance thereof a sign bearing the words: "No Peddlers or Agents," "No Advertisement" or any similar notice indicating in any manner that the occupants of said premises do not desire to be molested or have their right of privacy disturbed or to have any such handbills left upon such premises.
No person shall throw, deposit or distribute any commercial or noncommercial handbill in or upon private premises which are inhabited except by handling or transmitting any such handbill directly to the owner, occupant or other person then present in or upon such private premises; provided, however, that in case of inhabited private premises which are not posted as provided in this chapter, such person, unless requested by anyone upon such premises not to do so, shall have the authority to place or deposit any such handbill in or upon such inhabited private premises if such handbill is so placed or deposited as to secure or prevent such handbill from being blown or drifted about such premises or sidewalks, streets or other public places, and except that mailboxes may not be used when so prohibited by federal postal law or regulations.
No person shall throw, deposit or distribute any newspaper in or upon private premises except by handing or transmitted said newspaper directly to the owner, occupant or other person then present in or upon the said premises; provided, however, that newspapers may be thrown, deposited or distributed on private premises with the consent of the owner so long as they are thrown, deposited or distributed in such manner as to prevent their being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or upon private property.
No person shall post or affix any notice, poster or other paper or device, calculated to attract the attention of the public, to any lamppost, public utility pole or shade tree or upon any public structure or building, except as may be authorized by the owners thereof or required by law.
No person shall throw, deposit or store litter on any occupied private premises within the township, whether owned by such person or not, except that the owner or person in control of private premises may maintain authorized private receptacles for collection and removal of same in such manner that same shall not be unsightly and detrimental to the surrounding neighborhood.
The owner or person in control of any private premises shall at all times maintain the premises free of litter; provided, however, that this section shall not prohibit the storage of litter in authorized private receptacles for collection.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any open or vacant private premises within the City, whether owned by such person or not.
Any person violating or failing to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to the fines and penalties up to the maximum prescribed in Chapter 103 of the Corbin City Code. Each day such violations committed are permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense, punishable as such.