[Adopted 12-5-2017 by Ord. No. 2017-08]
The following words and phrases have the following meanings:
- The Town Manager or his/her designee, which is the party responsible for enforcement of this article.
- Any exhibition, fair, act, circus, ride, or similar undertaking in which wild and/or exotic animals are required to perform tricks, give rides, or participate as accompaniments for the entertainment, amusement, or benefit of a live audience, whether or not a fee is charged.
- MOBILE OR TRAVELING HOUSING FACILITY
- A transporting vehicle such as a truck, trailer or railway car, used to transport or house wild and/or exotic animals while traveling for exhibition or other performance of those wild and exotic animals.
- TRAVELING ANIMAL ACT
- Any display of wild and/or exotic animals where such animals are transported to, from, or between locations for the purpose of such display, in a mobile or traveling housing facility.
- WILD AND/OR EXOTIC ANIMAL
- Any live animal from any of the following scientific classifications:
- A. Artiodactyla (including hippopotamuses, giraffes, camels, and llamas, but excepting cattle, swine, sheep, and goats);
- B. Crocodilia (including alligators and crocodiles);
- C. Elephantidae (elephants);
- D. Felidae (including tigers, lions, jaguars, leopards, cheetahs, and cougars, or any hybrid thereof, but excluding domestic cats);
- E. Marsupialia (including kangaroos);
- F. Nonhuman primates (including apes, monkeys, and lemurs);
- G. Perissodactyla (including rhinoceroses, tapirs, and zebras);
- H. Pinnipedia (including seals, sea lions, and walruses);
- I. Ursidae (bears); or
- J. Elasmobranchii (including nurse sharks and lemon sharks).
It shall be a violation of this article for any person, business, entity, corporation, limited-liability company or other imilar organization to allow for the participation of a wild and/or exotic animal in a traveling animal act in the Town of Bar Harbor.
The penalty for violation of this article shall be $500 per offense. Each and every wild and/or exotic animal exhibited and each day exhibition occurs shall constitute a separate offense.
The Director shall be responsible for the administration and enforcement of the provisions of this article.
This article shall be effective 30 days after passage.