[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Lemoyne 3-2-1989 by Ord. No. 581 (Ch. 10, Part 3, of the 1984 Code of Ordinances). Amendments noted where applicable.]
Alarm devices — See Ch. 128.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
- AFFECTED BUILDINGS
- Any building which is used for sleeping or lodging purposes is subject to the rules and regulations contained in this chapter and includes, but is not limited by reason of enumeration to, the following: a building all or part of which contains dwelling units, including single-family dwellings, two-family dwellings and multifamily dwellings, hotels and motels, mobile homes, nursing homes and convalescent homes.
- DWELLING UNIT
- A structure, or portion thereof, building or portion thereof, arranged for the use of one or more individuals living together as a housekeeping unit on a permanent, temporary or transient basis, which may or may not include sanitary facilities or facilities for preparation, storage or serving of food.
- Any person who, alone or jointly or severally with other persons, has legal title to the premises. Owner shall also include any person who has charge, care or control over any premises as an agent, officer, fiduciary or employee of the person having legal title to the premises. Owner shall not include a lessee, a sublessee or other person who merely has the right to occupy or possess the premises.
- SLEEPING AREA
- The area or areas of the affected buildings in which the bedrooms or sleeping rooms are located. Where a sleeping area is separated by other use areas (such as kitchens or living rooms, but not bathrooms, closets or hallways), said areas shall be considered as separate sleeping areas for the purposes of this chapter.
- SMOKE DETECTOR
- A device which detects visible or invisible particles of combustion and is capable of providing an audible alarm of at least 85 decibels at 10 feet, either ionization or photoelectric type, and which complies with standards established by the National Fire Protection Association.
In this chapter, the singular shall include the plural; the plural shall include the singular; the masculine shall include the feminine and the neuter.
The owner shall install at least one smoke detector in each sleeping area of affected buildings.
The smoke detector sensing device shall provide an alarm suitable to warn occupants within individual dwelling units in the event of fire.
The smoke detectors required herein shall be installed by the present owner prior to any change in the legal or equitable ownership of affected buildings.
The smoke detectors required herein shall be installed in a dwelling unit by the present owner of an affected building prior to change of occupancy of said dwelling unit.
In all events, the owner of affected buildings shall install smoke detectors required herein prior to January 1, 1990.
Smoke detectors shall be wired directly to the building power supply or shall be battery operated. The owner shall maintain the smoke detectors in good working order.
Any person who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $1,000, plus costs of prosecution, and upon failure to make prompt payment of same, to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 90 days.
If any section, clause, provision or portion of this chapter is for any reason found to be unconstitutional, illegal or invalid, such unconstitutionality, illegality or invalidity shall not affect or impair any of the remaining sections, clauses, provisions or portions of this chapter.