[Added 8-24-2017 by Ord. No. 14-2017]
When used herein, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
- ANIMAL CARE FACILITY
- An animal control center or animal shelter, maintained by or under contract with any state, county, or municipality, whose mission and practice is, in whole or significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes or rescue organizations.
- ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANIZATION
- Any not-for-profit organization which has been granted tax exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code and whose mission and practice is, in whole or in significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes.
- A member of the species of domestic cat, Felis catus.
- A member of the species of domestic dog, Canis familiaris.
- Any establishment or premises where the business of boarding dogs and/or cats on the premises is carried on.
- OFFER FOR SALE
- To sell, offer for sale or adoption, advertise for the sale of, barter, auction, give away or otherwise dispose of a dog or cat.
- PET SHOP
- A retail establishment where dogs and cats are sold, exchanged, bartered or offered for sale as pet animals to the general public at retail. Such definition shall not include an animal care facility or animal rescue organization, as defined.
- RESPONSIBLE HOBBY BREEDER
- A hobby breeder which does not sell in "lots" (i.e., to a broker), sell to pet stores, sell to research labs or sell to auctions.
Nothing contained herein shall prohibit a responsible hobby breeder from selling or donating a dog, cat, puppy or kitten to a private purchaser where the animal is not under eight weeks old and under circumstances where the purchaser can see directly the conditions in which the dog or cat is bred or can confer directly with the hobby breeder concerning those conditions.