[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of West Deptford 12-5-2013 by Ord. No. 2013-13. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to require dumpsters and other refuse containers that are outdoors or exposed to stormwater to be covered at all times and prohibits the spilling, dumping, leaking, or otherwise discharge of liquids, semi-liquids or solids from the containers to the municipal separate storm sewer system(s) operated by the Township of West Deptford and/or the waters of the State so as to protect public health, safety and welfare, and to prescribe penalties for the failure to comply.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words, and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in this chapter clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- MUNICIPAL SEPARATE STORM SEWER SYSTEM (MS4)
- A conveyance or system of conveyances (including roads with drainage systems, municipal streets, catch basins, curbs, gutters, ditches, man-made channels, or storm drains) that is owned or operated by Township of West Deptford or other public body, and is designed and used for collecting and conveying stormwater. NOTE: In municipalities with combined sewer systems, MS4 do not include combined sewer systems, which are sewer systems that are designed to carry sanitary sewer at all times and to collect and transport stormwater from streets and other sources.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, or political subdivision of this State subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- REFUSE CONTAINER
- Any waste container that a person controls whether owned, leased, or operated, including dumpsters, trash cans, garbage pails, and plastic trash bags.
- Water resulting from precipitation (including rain and snow) that runs off the land's surface, is transmitted to the subsurface, is captured by separate storm sewers or other sewerage or drainage facilities, or is conveyed by snow removal equipment.
- WATERS OF THE STATE
- The ocean and its estuaries, all springs, streams and bodies of surface or ground water, whether natural or artificial, within the boundaries of the State of New Jersey or subject to its jurisdiction.
Any person who controls, whether owned, leased, or operated, a refuse container or dumpster must ensure that such container or dumpster is covered at all times and shall prevent refuse from spilling out or overflowing.
Any person who owns, leases or otherwise uses a refuse container or dumpster must ensure that such container or dumpster does not leak or otherwise discharge liquids, semi-liquids or solids to the municipal separate storm sewer system(s) operated by the Township of West Deptford.
Permitted temporary demolition containers.
Litter receptacles (other than dumpsters or other bulk containers).
Individual homeowner trash and recycling containers.
Refuse containers at facilities authorized to discharge stormwater under a valid NJDES permit.
Large bulky items (e.g., furniture, bound carpet and padding, white goods placed curbside for pickup).
This chapter shall be enforced by the Police Department and/or other municipal officials of West Deptford Township.
Any person(s) who is found to be in violation of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $500 per day.