[HISTORY: 1984 Code §§ 150-1—150-8 as amended through December 31, 2016. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Means a limousine. (N.J.S.A. 48:16-13)
- Means and includes any automobile or motor car used in the business of carrying passengers for hire to provide prearranged passenger transportation at a premium fare on a dedicated, nonscheduled, charter basis that is not conducted on a regular route and with a seating capacity of no more than 14 passengers, not including the driver, provided, that such a vehicle is certified by the manufacturer of the original vehicle and the second-stage manufacturer, if applicable, to conform to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards promulgated by the United States Department of Transportation pursuant to 49 CFR Part 571 (49 CFR 571.1 et seq.) and 49 CFR Part 567 (49 CFR 567.1 et seq.). In addition, a "Vehicle Emission Control Information" label, which contains the name and trademark of the manufacturer and an unconditional statement of compliance with the emission requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency, shall be present on the vehicle. Nothing in this Article contained shall be construed to include taxicabs, hotel buses, buses employed solely in transporting school children or teachers, vehicles owned and operated directly or indirectly by businesses engaged in the practice of mortuary science when those vehicles are used exclusively for providing transportation related to the provision of funeral services, autobuses which are subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation, or interstate autobuses required by federal or State law or regulations of the Department of Transportation to carry insurance against loss from liability imposed by law on account of bodily injury or death. (N.J.S.A. 48:16-13)
- LIMOUSINE OR LIVERY SERVICE
- Includes the business of carrying passengers for hire by limousines.
- Includes any individual, copartnership, association, corporation or joint-stock company, their lessees, trustees or receivers appointed by any court whatsoever.
- POLICE DEPARTMENT
- The Police Department of the city.
- Includes any street, avenue, park, parkway, highway or other public place.
- Any automobile or motorcar, commonly called a taxi, engaged in the business of carrying passengers for hire, which is held out, announced or advertised to operate or run as a taxicab, which is operated or run over any of the streets or public highways of the city, and particularly accepts and discharges such persons as may offer themselves for transportation from points or places within or without the city.
- A mechanical instrument or device by which the charge for hire of a taxicab is mechanically calculated either for distance traveled or for waiting time, or both, and upon which such charges shall be indicated by means of figures.
No person shall keep, hire or use for hire or pay or cause to be kept or used for hire or pay any motor vehicle or limousine utilizing the City of South Amboy as a place of business or place of garaging as expressed in N.J.S.A. 48:16-13 et seq. without having first obtained a license for that purpose from the City Clerk for such limousine or livery, which license shall be known as a "limousine license." Such license shall be for a term of one year and shall be renewable annually and shall be nontransferable.
The fee for the issuance of such license shall be $60 for each limousine or automobile license. Each such vehicle used as a limousine shall be licensed separately.
[Ord. No. 12-1998]
The City Clerk shall issue such license after the satisfactory compliance by the applicant with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 48:16-13 through 16-22, the payment of the aforesaid fee, the submission of a current certificate of insurance, a power of attorney appointing the Chief Financial Officer of the city his true and lawful attorney for the purpose of acknowledging service of any process out of a court of competent jurisdiction and a signed statement from the City Zoning Officer certifying that the limousine service is not operating in a residential zone.
There shall be a separate license issued for each limousine to be licensed. The license shall be in writing, numbered, in triplicate, signed by the City Clerk on a form provided by the municipality, and shall contain the following information:
The name, business address and business telephone number of the owner.
The number of the license and the make, model, year, serial number and license plate of each vehicle.
The name of the company supplying insurance coverage; the policy number and a date of expiration.
The name, address and telephone number of the insurance agent.
Licenses for limousines and liveries or any renewal thereof shall be issued by the City Clerk after the approval of the City Council is received.
One copy of the limousine license when issued shall be retained by the City Clerk. The applicant shall receive an original and one copy. The original shall be kept in the limousine at all times. One copy shall be filed with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
Any person or persons, firm, corporation or other organization found to be in violation of any of the provisions of this Article shall, upon conviction thereof in Municipal Court, in addition to the penalties provided by N.J.S.A. 48:16-22, pay a fine of not less than $50 and no more than $100 for the first offense and for each subsequent offense shall, upon conviction, pay a fine not to exceed $500. Upon failure to pay such fine, such person shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 30 days.
Any person or persons, firm, corporation or other organization found to be operating without the requisite insurance shall, in addition to the fines listed above, be subject to a revocation of license.
The City Council has determined not to issue any taxicab licenses or autobus licenses as they are defined in N.J.S.A. 48:16-1 et seq.