[Adopted 12-31-2001 by Ord. No. 2001-37 (§§ 1-2, 1-3 and 1-6 of the 2001 Code)]
For the purpose of this Code, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following definitions shall be used in the Code:
- CLERK or MUNICIPAL CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant t law.
- CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL
- Includes appointed titles of Public Officer I and Public
Officer II, where the duties and responsibilities of the office of
Public Officer I shall include signing summonses to be issued to persons
found in violation of the Code, and the duties and responsibilities
of the office of Public Officer II shall include field investigations
and issuing of summonses to offenders.[Added 2-12-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-6]
- The County of Mercer.
- The calendar days.
- An organizational unit of the government established or designated by ordinance or otherwise, together with any agency or instrumentality of the government assigned to such organizational unit by the governing body.
- GOVERNING BODY
- The governing body of the Township, constituted and elected pursuant to law.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Includes an affirmation where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. In such cases the words "swear" and "sworn" shall be construed to be equivalent to the words "affirm” and "affirmed."
- OFFICER or OFFICIAL (and the title of an officer or official)
- Construed as if the words "of the Township of Robbinsville" followed it.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it is adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it remains in force and effect pursuant to law.
- When applied to a building or land shall include any part owner, any corporation, joint owner, tenant in common, tenant in partnership, joint tenant or tenant by the entirety, of the whole or of a part of such building or land.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors of any kind or personal representatives of any kind thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- PRECEDING and FOLLOWING
- Next before and next after, respectively.
- Real and personal property.
- PUBLIC GROUNDS, PUBLIC SQUARES, PUBLIC PLACE or PUBLIC PLACES
- Any and every public ground, public square, public park or other public place within the Township.
- Any portion of a street between the curbline and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians, excluding parkways.
- Includes an avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk, and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public. Street shall be considered to include a sidewalk or footpath, unless the contrary is expressed or unless such construction is inconsistent with the apparent intent.
- TENANT or OCCUPANT
- Applied to a building or land, shall include any person who occupies the whole or part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- The Township of Robbinsville in the County of Mercer and State of New Jersey.
- Seven days.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, and if the last day is a Sunday, a legal holiday, or a day on which the offices of the Township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
"And" may be construed as meaning "or," and "or" as "and," if the sense requires and indicates such meaning.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this Code shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in the citation.
The provisions appearing in this Code, so far as they are the same in substance as those of ordinances existing at the time of the effective date of this Code, shall be considered continuations thereof and not as new enactments.