[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Manorhaven 7-25-1939 by Ord. No. XXVI. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Cinders, coal and every other substance which is left unconsumed by fire in stoves, furnaces, ranges, firepots, fireplaces and other such places.
- Natural soil, earth, gravel and loose pieces of broken stone.
- Swill and every accumulation of both animal and vegetable matter, liquid or otherwise, that attends the preparation, decay and dealing in or storage of meats, fish, fowl, birds or vegetables; carrion; offal; dead animal or carcass.
- Waste materials, other than ashes, rubbish and garbage, that attend use or decay and accumulation from the occupancy of buildings or premises.
- Solid waste matter accumulating or resulting from the use and occupation of buildings or premises, such as paper, straw, excelsior, rags, tin cans, bottles, old clothes, old shoes and other matter of a similar nature; waste building materials.
No person shall fill in or dump on any land under or above water within the limits of the village, with garbage, dead animals or any part thereof, decaying matter or any offensive and unwholesome material, rubbish or refuse, or with dirt or ashes when mixed with such garbage, dead animals, rubbish or refuse, offensive or unwholesome material.
No street sweepings shall be deposited on or used to fill up or raise the surface or level of any lot, grounds, dock, wharf or pier within the village without a permit therefor issued by the Board of Trustees.
[Amended 11-9-1966; 11-20-1991 by L.L No. 3-1991; 1-22-1997 by L.L. No. 1-1997]
Any person, association, firm or corporation which violates any provision of this chapter or assists in the violation of any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a violation. For any and every violation of any provision of this chapter, the owner, general agent or contractor of a building or premises where such violation has been committed or shall exist, and the lessee or tenant of an entire building or entire premises where such violation has been committed or shall exist, and the owner, general agent, contractor, lessee or tenant of any part of a building or premises in which part such violation has been committed or shall exist, and the general agent, architect, builder, contractor or any other person who knowingly commits, takes part, allows or assists in any such violation or who maintains any building or premises in which any such violation shall exist, shall be guilty of a violation against this chapter, punishable by a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment for a period not to exceed 15 days, or both, for conviction of a first offense; for conviction of a second offense, both of which were committed within a period of five years, punishable by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $2,000 or imprisonment for a period not to exceed 15 days, or both; and upon conviction of a third or subsequent offense, all of which were committed within a period of five years, punishable by a fine of not less than $2,000 nor more than $3,000 or imprisonment for a period not to exceed 15 days, or both. Each week's continued violation shall constitute a separate additional violation.