[HISTORY: Adopted by the Village Board of the Village of Maple Bluff 12-13-1990 (§ 11.08 of the 1986 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The person or persons specifically authorized by the Village Board to collect garbage, rubbish, yard waste, and recyclable materials and dispose of the same.
- All organic kitchen waste that attends the storage, preparation, use, cooking or serving of food.
- Matter printed on newsprint, including daily or weekly publications and advertising circulars, whether delivered separately or accompanying newspapers, normally delivered or mailed to a household or business for dissemination of public information, but excluding books, magazines, catalogs or similar publications.
- PLASTIC CONTAINER
- A blow-molded plastic bottle made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) or a plastic bottle or jar made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) but does not include HDPE containers that are not blow molded.
- RECYCLABLE MATERIAL
- Newspapers; brown, green and white container glass; ferrous metal cans; aluminum cans; nonwaxed corrugated cardboard; and plastic containers.
- Includes all useless waste, except leaves, trees, tree limbs, brush, earth or stone. Construction waste or materials shall be classified as rubbish provided that said waste or materials do not exceed in quantity two thirty-gallon containers or 100 pounds per collection.
- SOLID WASTE
- All garbage and rubbish as herein defined.
- YARD WASTE
- Leaves, weeds (including lake weeds), flowers, grass clippings, pine needles and garden debris.
The owner or occupant of each residence, residential unit, place of business, industry or commerce or other place providing goods or services of any type shall cooperate in the recycling of recyclable material by performing the following:
Except as provided in § 186-3B hereafter, all recyclable material shall be separated from other solid waste, grouped together and placed in a separate container provided by the collector for collection.
Newspapers shall be securely tied in eight-inch to ten-inch bundles and placed at the curb with other solid waste on the designated collection date for collection by the collector. Bundles or separate newspapers shall not be placed in containers with other solid waste. No newspapers, except newspapers rendered useless for recycling purposes, shall be disposed of in any manner by any resident or business so as to result in said newspapers being disposed of in the Dane County Sanitary Landfill, but newspapers may be recycled in any other lawful manner.
Yard waste and tree limbs and branches shall be placed in manageable bundles or in separate reusable containers at the curb.
Lead acid batteries, used motor oil, tires, and appliances shall be separated from regular rubbish.
Except as otherwise specifically directed or authorized by the Village Board under Subsection B, solid waste containers from all residential and commercial premises shall be placed at the curbline adjacent to the street designated in the published collection schedule.
The Village Board may direct or authorize the placing of solid waste containers in a manner different than that provided herein in order to facilitate a more reasonable mode of collection from particular premises.
No container or bag placed for collection shall exceed 30 gallons in capacity or 50 pounds in weight.
All rubbish placed for collection shall be placed in suitable containers of not more than 30 gallons in capacity or 50 pounds in weight.
Any garbage or rubbish not placed for collection in accordance with the provisions of this chapter may be refused by the collector.
All persons having solid waste, including recyclable materials, shall place the same in suitable containers not sooner than 24 hours prior to the regularly scheduled collection time, and no person shall permit solid waste or containers thereof to accumulate or remain at the curbline longer than 12 hours thereafter.
No person shall place any garbage on any street, alley, sidewalk or other public or private property unless the same shall be placed in containers or bags for Village collection at the times and in the manner as herein provided.
No person shall place for collection any solid waste at the curbline or alley adjacent to any premises not owned or occupied by such person.
The Village crew or other persons designated by the Village will pick up yard waste, tree limbs and branches for disposal in the Village-owned landfill.
The Village crew or other persons designated by the Village will pick up lead-acid batteries, used motor oil, tires, and appliances which will then be recycled or properly disposed of by the Village.
Disposal of items other than regular rubbish and recyclables for commercial and retail establishments shall be arranged and paid for by the retailer or commercial establishment owner.
Persons shall not pilfer or disturb recyclables, garbage, rubbish, solid waste or yard waste once those materials are placed for collection. All recyclable materials, garbage, rubbish, solid waste or yard waste placed for collection pursuant to this chapter shall thereupon become the property of the municipality or the municipality's authorized agent or a private collector/hauler which persons in the municipality have contracted to perform functions pursuant to the recycling plan provided in this chapter. Only persons authorized by the municipality or the generator of waste shall collect or handle recyclable materials once those materials have been placed appropriately for collection. Any and each collection by unauthorized persons in violation of this provision shall constitute a separate and distinct offense.
Collector to refuse pickup of nonconforming solid waste. The Village's collector shall refuse to pick up any solid waste containing recyclable material not separately contained or bundled as provided in this chapter. In addition the violator shall clean up, remove and pay the cost of cleanup or removal of any garbage or rubbish placed in violation of this chapter.
Any person who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall be subject to a penalty as provided in § 1-4 of this Municipal Code.