All matters concerning, affecting or relating to the installation, alteration or removal of plumbing and plumbing systems are provided for in this chapter except insofar as such provisions are contained in the Labor Law and Multiple Dwelling Law of the State of New York.
This chapter is hereby declared to be remedial and shall be construed liberally to secure the beneficial interests and purpose thereof.
No plumbing or plumbing system, as defined in this chapter, shall be constructed, installed or altered in any building or structure or upon any premises in the Village of Westbury except in conformity with the provisions of this chapter and all rules of the Superintendent of Buildings made and issued thereunder and in conformity with the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code.
All work of plumbing, sprinklers, sewers and drainage shall be performed by or under the supervision of an employing or master plumber holding a certificate of competency or license issued by the Examining Board of Plumbers of the Village of Westbury. This will not prohibit the employees of any special water district from making water service line connections to property line of building. This will also not prohibit the owner of a residence building occupied or to be occupied by himself or family, from installing plumbing in said building, provided that application is made and permit issued for said installation, and work is done strictly in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
Words used in the present tense include the future; words in the masculine gender include the feminine and neuter; the singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular; the word "person" includes a corporation as well as an individual; "writing" includes printing, and printed or typewritten matter; "oath" includes affirmation; "signature" or "subscription" includes "mark" when the person cannot write, his name being written near it.
Unless otherwise expressly stated, the following terms shall, for the purpose of this chapter, have the meaning herein indicated.
- EXAMINING BOARD OF PLUMBERS
- Any body of persons not exceeding three in number who may be appointed by the Village Board for that purpose.
- HOUSE DRAIN
- That part of the main horizontal drain and its branches inside of the walls of a building, vault or area and extending to and connecting with the house sewer.
- HOUSE SEWER
- That part of the main drain or sewer extending from a point two feet outside of the outer front wall of the building, vault or area to its connection with a public sewer, private sewer or cesspool and septic tank.
- JOURNEYMAN PLUMBER
- A person in the employ of or working under the supervision of a master plumber as defined in this section, who does the actual work of installing water supply lines, installing, setting up or putting together plumbing fixtures, pipes or appurtenances, which are connected or are to be connected with the sewage system of a building or structure, or who does the actual work of connecting such plumbing fixtures, pipes or appurtenances with a sewage system. It shall not include apprentices or helpers who work in the presence of and under the direct supervision of a journeyman plumber.
- MASTER OR EMPLOYING PLUMBER
- A person established in the plumbing business as an individual, member of a partnership, or officer of a corporation engaged by contract or otherwise in the work of installing water supply lines, installing, setting up or putting together any plumbing fixtures, pipes or appurtenances of any kind, which are connected or are to be connected with the sewage system of a building or in the work of connecting such plumbing fixtures, pipes or appurtenances with a sewage system.
- PLUMBING AND PLUMBING SYSTEMS
- Of a building or property, includes the water supply distribution and sewer lines and the water service pipes, both hot and cold, the fixtures and fixture traps, the soil, waste, vent or supply pipes, the house drains and the storm sewer, together with all their devices and appurtenances and the connections with or adjacent to the building on property.
- PLUMBING FIXTURES
- Receptacles intended to receive and discharge water, liquid or water carried as waste into a drainage system with which they are connected.
- PRIVATE SEWER
- Main sewers that are not constructed by and under the supervision of the municipality.
- SOIL LINE
- Any vertical line of pipe having outlets above the floor of the first story for water closet connections.
- VENT PIPE
- Any special pipe provided to ventilate a system of piping and to prevent trap syphonage and back pressure.
- WASTE LINE
- Any vertical line of pipe having outlets above the first floor for fixtures other than water closets.