[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Ithaca 3-8-2004. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CAYUGA LAKE
- The whole of Cayuga Lake to its high water mark, all subsurface lands, and all streams, creeks, rivers, canals, inlets, and other waterways connected thereto, whether navigable or not, located in the Town of Ithaca.
- One-half hour after sunrise to one-half hour before sunset.
- One-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise.
- NON-MOTOR-POWERED VESSEL
- A vessel powered by a force other than a motor, specifically wind or human muscle power, such as a canoe, kayak, paddle boat, crew boat, row boat, sailboat or sailboard.
- PERSONAL WATERCRAFT OR PWC
- A vessel which uses an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of motive power and which is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind, the vessel, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
- Any location where the surface of Cayuga Lake meets land, including emergent islands and structures of all sorts, but not including wharves, docks, and similar structures made, placed or installed by any person or entity.
- SPECIALTY PROP-CRAFT
- A vessel which is powered by an outboard motor or propeller-driven motor and which is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind, the vessel, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
- A vessel as defined in Subdivision 6 of § 2 of the New York State Navigation Law or any successor or amendment to such subdivision and section.
- Any vessel, vehicle, or contrivance intended, designed, or utilized for travel over or under water, and that is propelled by a motor or engine of any type, whether fueled by gasoline or otherwise.
A vessel regulation zone is established so that no watercraft shall exceed a speed of five miles per hour within 100 feet of any shoreline, dock, pier, raft, float, marked swimming area, or anchored, moored, floating or non-motorized vessel, or 10 miles per hour when between 100 feet and 500 feet of any shoreline, dock, pier, raft, float, marked swimming area, or anchored or moored vessel, or 45 miles per hour during the daytime and 25 mph during the nighttime when between 500 and 1500 feet of any shoreline, dock, pier, raft, float, marked swimming area or anchored, moored, floating or non-motorized vessel unless such vessel is being operated near such shore, dock, float, pier, raft, or anchored vessel for the purpose of enabling a person engaged in water skiing to take off or land.
No person shall operate a PWC or a specialty prop-craft at any time before 10 a.m. or after the earlier of 8:00 p.m. or one-half hour before sunset.
No person under the age of 16 years may operate a PWC or specialty prop-craft unless he or she is:
Accompanied by a parent or guardian; or
In no case shall the noise level of any watercraft, or any activities conducted from such watercraft, exceed 65 dBA during daytime and 55 dBA during nighttime.
This chapter shall apply only to those portions of Cayuga Lake falling under the jurisdiction of the Town of Ithaca.
A violation of this chapter shall be punishable as set forth in § 73-c of the New York State Navigation Law or any successor or amendment to such section.