The words and phrases used in this chapter shall, for the purposes of this chapter, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by Article 1 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York.
Word usage. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future tense, words in the plural number include the singular number, and words in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
The following words and phrases, which are not defined by Article 1 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section for the purposes of this chapter:
- The prolongation of the lateral line of a curb or, in the absence of a curb, the lateral boundary line of the roadway.
- New Year's Day, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- The emblem issued by the Town Clerk to a permit holder.
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- Every vehicle operated or driven upon a public highway which is propelled by any power other than muscular power.
- An individual, or a firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- PUBLIC HIGHWAY
- A street located within the unincorporated section of the Town of Mamaroneck that meets the definition of a public highway contained in New York State Vehicle and Traffic § 134.
- SCHOOL DAYS
- Monday through Friday, September 1 to June 30.
- SCHOOL TIMES
- 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.