City of Grand Ledge, MI
Eaton County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Grand Ledge as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Sewers — See Ch. 167.
Stormwater improvements — See Ch. 175.
Water and sewer — See Ch. 214.
[Adopted 7-9-1913 by Ord. No. 30]
Any person desiring to connect service pipe with the City water works must make application to the City Clerk of the City of Grand Ledge and pay such sum as shall be required by the City Council, and the City Clerk shall thereupon grant a permit of service connection named in said application.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
No person except authorized officials of the City of Grand Ledge and persons authorized by appropriate City officials shall remove, alter or tamper with any water apparatus owned by the City. Unauthorized persons who shall tamper with, damage, alter or deface City water apparatus, including water meters and water-reading devices, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in this Code, and the cost of repair or replacement of such apparatus shall be charged to said person and/or the owner of the premises where such apparatus is located.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
No person shall make or cause to be made any addition or alteration to City-owned apparatus or to any such appurtenance or equipment maintained by the City, including pipes, water meters or other appurtenances or devices, without first obtaining permission from the City in writing. When any property owner (or customer) wishes to terminate any such service, said person shall first contact the City Utility Billing Clerk. No water service shall be terminated or restored to any such premises except by City personnel.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
Installation and usage of water meters shall be required for all water and sewer customers unless the water meter requirement is waived by the Director of Public Services. No such waiver shall be granted, however, unless and until a contractual rate is agreed upon between the customer and the City. No alteration, removal or change in a water meter shall be made, except by City personnel, pursuant to a work order issued by the Utility Billing Clerk.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
No person owning, occupying or otherwise in control of any premises connected to the City water works shall divert, supply, furnish or permit such diversion, supply or furnishing of water to any other premises or user.
[Amended 7-28-2008 by Ord. No. 520; 3-23-2009 by Ord. No. 521]
No owner of premises taking water from the City water works shall allow or permit the service pipe or fixtures serving said premises and connected to the City system to be out of repair or unprotected from frost or permit any unnecessary waste of water. The term "service pipe or fixtures," as used in this section, shall include all water pipes, leads and appurtenances downstream from the water shutoff box/valve (except the water meter located on or within the structure receiving water). Maintenance and repair of water pipes or fixtures shall be the sole responsibility of the property owner and, upon the failure of the property owner to timely perform necessary maintenance and repair, water service to the premises may be terminated by the City. The foregoing notwithstanding, the City may, at its expense, maintain the service pipe or fixtures serving private premises located within the public right-of-way. All such work will be performed at the discretion of the Public Services Director.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
The City, by resolution of the City Council, may regulate, limit, ration or prohibit the use of water for any purpose determined by the Council to be in the best interests of the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of the City or the water system. Such regulations may include restrictions on water uses deemed to be nonessential to ensure adequate water supply for domestic or commercial consumption or firefighting. All such regulations shall become effective 24 hours after publication of a notice of the adoption of such regulations in a newspaper of general circulation within the City. Violation of such restriction would be punishable as a misdemeanor under the Grand Ledge City Code or by termination of water service, or both.
Any member of the City Council or other persons authorized by the City Council shall have free access, at proper hours of the day, to all parts of every building in which water is delivered and consumed to examine pipes and fixtures and to ascertain whether there is any unnecessary waste of water, and no person shall interfere with such inspection in any manner.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
Water customers shall provide reasonable access to all water meters, reading devices and water apparatus to City employees. City employees shall have the right to enter premises where such devices are located at reasonable hours for the purpose of reading, repairing, replacing, testing, inspecting and removal of such apparatus. If access cannot be gained during regular working hours, the City shall have the right to install remote meter-reading equipment at the customer's expense. No person shall hinder, obstruct or interfere with any City employee in the discharge of said employee's duties with respect to the operation of the water system, including, but not limited to, the inspection and maintenance of its water meters and reading devices. Meters which remain inaccessible to City personnel for 30 days will be tagged with a forty-eight-hour Notice of Intent to Discontinue Service. Unless access is obtained within said period and measures are taken, to the satisfaction of the Director of Public Services, to ensure regular access, water service to said premises shall be terminated.
Whenever, upon request or otherwise, the water is turned off, the sum as shall be set from time to time by resolution adopted by the City Council shall be charged for turning it on again, unless such turning off was in judgment of the City Council in case of necessity other than for violation of rules.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
No person, other than City employees and emergency services personnel, may open a hydrant without first having obtained the written authorization from the Director of Public Services or his designee.
[Amended 4-26-2004 by Ord. No. 493]
All disputes relating to alleged inaccurate meter readings must be filed with the Utility Billing Clerk within 30 days of the billing for the period in dispute. The Utility Billing Clerk shall initiate proceedings for meter testing. The customer filing the request must be present when the allegedly defective meter is pulled and tested. The meter will be considered to be accurate if it measures within 2% of the actual flow (whether more or less). If the meter is accurate, the customer requesting the test shall reimburse the City for its costs incurred in conducting the meter removal and testing and the restoration of service. If the meter is inaccurate, the City will replace the meter at no charge and adjust the water bill to the extent of the inaccuracy. Meter tests conducted by the City on its own initiative shall be without cost to the customer.
Any violation of this article shall be punishable as a misdemeanor as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, Article II, Penalties, § 1-17B.
[Adopted 5-14-1979 by Ord. No. 271]
The City of Grand Ledge adopts by reference the Water Supply Cross Connection Rules of the Michigan Department of Public Health being R325.431 to R325.440 of the Michigan Administrative Code.
It shall be the duty of the Grand Ledge Water Department to cause inspections to be made of all properties served by the public water supply where cross connections with the public water supply is deemed possible. The frequency of inspections and reinspections based on potential health hazards involved shall be as established by the Grand Ledge Water Department and as approved by the Michigan Department of Public Health.
The representative of the City of Grand Ledge shall have the right to enter at any reasonable time any property served by a connection to the public water supply system of the City of Grand Ledge for the purpose of inspecting the piping system or systems thereof for cross connections. On request, the owner, lessees or occupants of any property so served shall furnish to the inspection agency any pertinent information regarding the piping system or systems on such property. The refusal of such information or refusal of access, after demand therefor, shall be deemed a violation of this article.
The Grand Ledge Water Department is hereby authorized and directed to discontinue water service after reasonable notice to any property wherein any connection in violation of this article exists, and to take such other precautionary measures deemed necessary to eliminate any danger of contamination of the public water supply system. Water service to such property shall not be restored until all cross connections have been eliminated in compliance with the provisions of this article.
The potable water supply made available on the properties served by the public water supply shall be protected from possible contamination as specified by this article and by the State Plumbing Code. Any water outlet which could be used for potable or domestic purposes and which is not supplied by the potable system must be labeled in a conspicuous manner as:
Water Unsafe
for Drinking
This article does not supersede the State Plumbing Code but is supplementary to that Code.
Any violation of this article shall be punishable as a misdemeanor as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, Article II, Penalties, § 1-17B. Each day that a violation of this article is continued or permitted to exist without compliance shall constitute a separate offense punishable upon conviction in the manner prescribed in this section, provided that no person shall be imprisoned for a single but continuing violation of this article for a period of longer than 90 days.
[Added 3-23-2009 by Ord. No. 521]
Private water wells shall not be permitted within the City of Grand Ledge unless an exemption from this prohibition is granted by the Public Services Director or City Council.