City of Trenton, NJ
Thursday, November 23, 2017

Chapter 248. Solid Waste

Article I. Garbage Collection

§ 248-3. Provision and use of containers.

One- or two-family dwellings. A proper and sufficient number of approved containers, as herein defined, for the storage of garbage and rubbish between collections shall be provided by each family residing in a single-family dwelling or in a two-family dwelling. It shall be the duty of the occupants to maintain such containers in good repair, in a clean and satisfactory condition and to store rubbish and garbage properly therein.
[Amended 1-6-2001 by Ord. No. 03-8]
Multiple dwellings. In the case of a building housing three families or more, the owner, lessee or agent of the premises shall provide a sufficient number of suitable approved containers, as herein defined, for the storage of garbage and rubbish. In the case of buildings housing 75 units or more the owner, lessee or agent of the premises shall provide front-end-load containers and maintain them in good repair and in a clean and satisfactory condition.
[Amended 1-6-2001 by Ord. No. 03-8]
Commercial and nonresidential establishments. The proprietor, manager, agent or person in charge of a commercial establishment, professional office, church or any other premises where occupancy is nonresidential in nature shall provide proper and sufficient approved containers as defined herein.
Broken and illegal receptacles. After 10 days' written notice has been given to the responsible party by the Health Officer or his/her duly authorized agent or agents to dispose of defective or illegal waste containers, the condemned containers may be collected as rubbish by the Department of Public Works.
Permit for servicing of large movable receptacles. Where the need exists for the use of receptacles with a capacity of more than 32 gallons at any establishment, these receptacles may be serviced by the City upon application to the Director of Public Works for a permit to use one or more large movable receptacles, and payment of the required permit and service fees. All such receptacles must be located on private property, accessible and equipped for handling and pickup by motorized equipment; must be watertight, constructed of metal or plastic; cleaned and sanitized as needed by the collection agency, and replaced by the same type of receptacle if removed for emptying. The Director of Public Works shall have the authority to designate the type and location of such receptacles and must approve plans to construct a proper base from which the receptacles shall be serviced. A permit shall be issued only after payment of a fee of $5. A service fee based on time and materials shall be charged for maintaining these receptacles in a sanitary condition.