[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Newton 6-8-1970 as Sec. 5-1 of the Revised General Ordinances. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Putrescent animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish as defined herein, and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety and welfare.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys, bleachers or other pubic ways, and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, docks, grounds and buildings.
- All putrescent and nonputrescent solid wastes (except body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles, and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Nonputrescent solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, including devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
No person shall sweep, throw, deposit or dump litter in or upon any occupied, open or vacant property, whether owned by such person or not, or in or upon any street, sidewalk, park or other public place, or any pond, lake or stream or other body of water within the Town; except in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles for collection. Persons placing litter in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles shall do so in such a manner as to prevent it from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk or other public place, or upon private property.
No person, including merchants owning or occupying a place of business, shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the Town the accumulation of litter from any building or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying property shall keep the sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
No person while a driver or passenger in a vehicle shall throw or deposit litter upon any street or other public place within the Town or upon private property.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the Town unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent its load, contents or litter from being blown or deposited upon any street, alley or other public place; nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or truck within the Town, the wheels or tires of which carry onto or deposit in any street, alley or other public place, mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or foreign matter of any kind.
No person shall bring, cart, remove, transport or collect any litter from outside or into the Town for the purpose of dumping or depositing thereof, without the express consent of the Town Council. No truck or other vehicle containing litter which has been transported into the Town shall be parked or allowed to remain standing on any street in the Town or on any public property for a period in excess of two hours.
No person shall cast or place or cause to be cast or placed any advertisement, handbill, circular or paper on any public streets, on sidewalks, into any vestibules or yards, upon porches of any dwelling house or other buildings, or into any vehicle while on the public highways or on private property within the Town, except that this section shall not apply to newspapers and addressed envelopes delivered to subscribers and addresses. Advertisements, handbills, circulars and papers may be distributed in the Town, provided that they are securely placed at each dwelling so as not to be blown away by the wind.