[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of North Branford 8-19-1986 as Ord. No. 155, effective 9-19-1986. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to provide uniform standards of control and regulations for the installation, use and maintenance of burglar, holdup, medical and/or fire alarm systems within the Town of North Branford; to provide penalties for noncompliance; and to encourage the installation of protective alarm systems in all dwellings and commercial structures.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ALARM SYSTEM
- An assembly of equipment and devices arranged to signal the presence of a hazard requiring urgent attention and to which Police or Fire Department personnel are expected to respond. This includes all burglar alarms, fire alarms, holdup and medical alarms and automatic dialer alarms.
- ALARM USER
- Any person or company on whose premises any alarm system is maintained within the Town of North Branford.
- AUTOMATIC TELEPHONE DIALING DEVICE
- An alarm system which automatically sends, over regular telephone lines, by direct connection or otherwise, a prerecorded voice message or coded signal indicating the existence of the emergency situation that the alarm system is designed to detect. No automatic-type dialer may be installed on any alarm system after the effective date of this chapter unless equipped with a device which shall limit the duration of such prerecorded voice message or coded signal to not more than five (5) minutes.
- FALSE ALARM
- The activation of an alarm system through mechanical failure, malfunction, improper installation or the negligence of the owner or lessee of an alarm system or of his employees or agents. Such terminology does not include, for example, alarms caused by hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods or other normally infrequent violent conditions or acts of God. Excluded from this chapter are false alarms that are transmitted with criminal, malicious or mischievous intent. Such violations will be prosecuted under the applicable General Statutes of the State of Connecticut.
Any person, firm or corporation installing an alarm system within the Town of North Branford shall register with the Town of North Branford at least ten (10) days prior to the anticipated installation. All existing alarm systems shall be registered with the Town of North Branford within sixty (60) days of the effective date of this chapter.
To the extent permitted by law, the information furnished and secured pursuant to this chapter shall be confidential in character and shall not be subject to public disclosure or inspection and shall be kept so that the contents thereby shall not be known except to persons charged in the administration of this chapter.
No alarm system shall be installed by other than a licensed person or other person meeting the requirements set forth in the Building and Electrical Codes of the State of Connecticut. No alarm system shall be installed unless an electrical permit to install an alarm system has been obtained from the Town Building Official or his designated representative as is required by the Building and Electrical Codes of the State of Connecticut.
No person, firm or corporation shall install an automatic telephone dialing device within the Town of North Branford terminating at the North Branford Police Department after the effective date of this chapter unless equipped with a device which shall limit the duration of such prerecorded voice message or coded signal to not more than five (5) minutes.
Any nonconforming automatic-type dialer in use as of the effective date of this chapter may remain in use for more than six (6) months or until sale of the property or until such alarm system device is rendered in conformity with § 108-4B hereof, whichever occurs first.
All alarm systems, as defined in this chapter, which sound an audible signal which may be heard outside of the protected premises shall be equipped with a device which shall limit the duration of such audible signal to not more than thirty (30) minutes in accordance with Sections 22a-67 and 22a-69 of the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut.
The Chief of Police may revoke the privilege of having equipment and indicators in the communication center of North Branford Police Headquarters if the owner or lessee and/or alarm equipment supplier fail to comply with any requirements of this chapter where the alarm system actuates excessive false alarms and thereby constitutes a public nuisance.
The North Branford Police Department may require removal of the equipment within seven (7) days from receipt of written notice, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, at the expense of such owner or lessee and/or alarm equipment suppliers. Failure to remove said equipment and indicators as specified shall result in the town doing so at the expense of the person(s) so notified.
Each alarm user shall register his or her alarm system(s) with the Town of North Branford as required in § 108-3 of this chapter.
Registration of alarm systems shall be accomplished by filling out a form provided by the Town of North Branford.
The fee for registration shall be five dollars ($5.) for a residence and twenty dollars ($20.) for a commercial establishment and shall be a one-time charge. Any town-owned buildings shall be exempt from the registration fee.
A maximum of three (3) false alarms per calendar year shall be allowed from any alarm system of any person, firm or corporation. Upon receipt of the second false alarm, the alarm user shall be notified, in writing, by the Chief of Police or his designated representative that the alarm user's systems should be inspected and repaired if necessary.
Upon receipt of a fourth false alarm and for each false alarm thereafter during the calendar year, a user fee shall be assessed by the Town of North Branford in the amount of twenty-five dollars ($25.).
Alarms originating from any building owned or operated by the Town of North Branford shall be exempt from the user fee requirement.
Any person, firm or corporation found to be in violation of any other provision of this chapter shall be fined fifty dollars ($50.).
All moneys received pertaining to this chapter shall be directed to the general fund of the Town of North Branford.
In determining whether an alarm is a false alarm, all circumstances shall be considered. Setting off an alarm may cause a person who was attempting a break-in to flee. In investigating whether an alarm is false, a careful check will be made for signs of break-in attempts.