As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CLEANUP AND REMOVAL COSTS
- All costs associated with a discharge within the boundaries of the Borough of Collingswood, which shall include labor and material for the removal of hazardous substances or taking of reasonable measures to prevent or mitigate damages to the public health, safety or welfare of the residents of the Borough of Collingswood, including the lands, private and public, therein.
- Any intentional or unintentional action or omission resulting in the release, spill, leak, emission, dump or disposal of hazardous substances into the waters or lands within the Borough of Collingswood, or outside the borough when damage may result to the waters or lands inside the borough.
- HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
- All elements and compounds, including petroleum products as set forth within N.J.S.A. 58:10-23.11B, as amended, except that sewage sludge shall be considered a "hazardous substance" for the purpose of this Article.
- Any individual, public or private corporation, companies, associations, societies, firms, partnerships or joint-stock companies.
Any person who shall discharge hazardous substances within the Borough of Collingswood shall be strictly liable for all cleanup and removal costs incurred by the Borough of Collingswood or agencies and employees thereon.
Upon assessment of cleanup and removal costs, the person assessed may, within ten (10) days of receipt of such assessment, make a written request for a hearing before the Borough Commission exclusively upon the reasonableness of the amount assessed.
The person responsible for the discharge shall be liable for all reasonable attorneys' fees and costs incurred in the collection of cleanup and removal costs.