[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Lumberton 12-17-1973 as Ord. No. 1973-16 (part of Ch. IV of the 1973 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Putrescible animal and vegetable waste resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish, as defined herein, and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety and welfare.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- All streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys, beaches or other public ways and all public parks, squares, spaces, docks, grounds and buildings.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid waste, except body wastes, including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market and industrial waste.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, including devices used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks.
No person shall sweep, throw, deposit or dump litter in or on any property, whether occupied or vacant and whether owned by that person, or upon or in a public place or pond, lake or stream or other body of water within the township, except in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles for collection.
Persons placing litter in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles shall do so in a manner which prevents the litter from being carried or deposited by the elements upon a public place or upon private property.
No person, including merchants owning or occupying a place of business, shall sweep into or deposit in a gutter, road, right-of-way or other public place within the township the accumulation of litter from a building or lot or from a public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying property shall keep the sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
No person, while a driver or passenger in a vehicle, shall throw or deposit litter in or upon any public or private property.
No person shall bring, cart, remove, transport or collect any litter from outside the township and bring it into the township for the purpose of dumping or disposing thereof. No truck or other vehicle containing litter which has been transported into the township shall be parked or allowed to remain standing on any street in the township or on any public property for a period in excess of two hours.
Advertisements, handbills, circulars and papers may be distributed in the township only if they are so securely placed at each dwelling that they will not be blown away by the wind. Otherwise, no person shall place any advertisement, handbill, circular or paper on or in any public street, sidewalk, building or vehicle within the township.
[Added 8-3-1992 by Ord. No. 1992-6; amended 12-5-2019 by Ord. No. 2019-19]
Any person, firm, corporation, association or legal party whatsoever who shall violate, or authorize or procure a violation, or cause to be violated, any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable as provided under § 1-11 governing general penalty provisions. If the state requires, limits or expands potential minimum or maximum penalties in contradiction to this chapter, state law shall apply.