[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Hanover 10-13-1977 by Ord. No. 19-77. Sections 176-1 and 176-4A amended at time of adoption of Code; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I. Other amendments noted where applicable.]
Use of motor vehicles in parks — See Ch. 198, Art II.
The following definitions shall apply in the interpretation and enforcement of this chapter:
- A motor vehicle with any number of wheels and propelled by one or more motors. This definition shall include but not be limited to motorized scooters, go-carts, gas buggies, snowmobiles, land cats, land rovers, dune buggies, all-terrain vehicles (ATV's) and golf carts.
- Includes motorcycles, motor bikes, bicycles with motors attached and all motor-operated vehicles of the bicycle or tricycle type, having a piston displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or more, rated in excess of 1.5 brake horsepower and capable of maximum speeds in excess of 25 miles per hour, whether the motor power be a part thereof or attached thereto, and having a saddle or seat with driver sitting astride or upon it or a platform on which the driver stands.
- MOTORIZED BICYCLE (MOPED)
- A pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in that the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 cubic centimeters, rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower and capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any area, including streets, roadways and pedestrian walkways, and any public school grounds, public parks, public playgrounds or other public recreation areas in the Township of Hanover.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a minibike or motorcycle in or upon any public place, except that duly registered motorcycles may be operated in accordance with law in or upon any public street, road or highway, other than a walkway, lying within a public place.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motorized bicycle (Moped) on any public school ground sidewalk, public park walkway, path, designated bicycle path or any other area used primarily for recreation activities. Exceptions are made along designated roadways primarily for motor vehicle ingress and egress into public school and park parking areas, provided that the operation of said motorized bicycle does not endanger persons walking to and from such parking areas.
It shall be unlawful for any person to permit, suffer or allow the operation of a minibike, motorcycle or motorized bicycle in or upon any public place as herein defined, except as specifically permitted in this chapter.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a minibike, motorcycle or motorized bicycle in or upon any private property in the Township without express written permission of the owner or occupant of said property.
Any vehicle used in violation of this chapter shall be confiscated and removed to the Township garage. Said confiscated vehicle may be released to the owner upon the owner's payment of towing and storage costs.