[Adopted 7-10-2006 by Ord. No. 2006-9]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated.
- Branches and shrubs suitable for disposal in a chipper. Brush does not include grass clippings, leaves, cuttings, twigs or miscellaneous organic matter.
- The placement of yard waste in a trash can, bucket, bag or other container sufficient to prevent the yard waste from spilling or blowing into the street.
- Any person, persons, company or other entity hired for the
purpose of altering, cleaning, clearing, removing, pruning, maintaining
or modifying the lawn, trees, shrubs, plantings or other natural materials
on a property.[Added 12-7-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-11]
- CUTTINGS AND TWIGS
- Small diameter branches collected from yards or pruned from trees or shrubs. Cuttings and twigs are too small for disposal in a chipper.
- Leaves collected from yard areas exclusive of grass clippings, cuttings, twigs, brush or other organic matter.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- Any street, avenue, boulevard, road, parkway, viaduct, drive, or other way which is an existing state, county, or municipal roadway, and includes the land between the street lines, whether improved or unimproved, and may include pavement, shoulders, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, parking areas, and other areas within the street lines.
- YARD WASTE
- Brush, cuttings and twigs, grass clippings and miscellaneous
organic material resulting from yard maintenance.[Amended 12-7-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-11]
No person shall sweep, rake, blow or otherwise place yard waste in a street except as permitted by this article. Any person placing yard waste in a street except as permitted by this ordinance shall be in violation of this ordinance and subject to the fines and penalties set forth below.
The owner of property from which yard waste has been removed and unlawfully left in the street, whether or not the owner is the person who caused the waste to be placed in the street in the first instance, shall be responsible for removing the yard waste from the street forthwith and, upon failing to do so after notice by the Borough, shall be in violation of this article. In the absence of the owner, the tenant or other occupant of the property shall be responsible for removing the prohibited yard waste.
Leaves may be placed in a Borough-owned street for collection by the Borough no more than seven days immediately prior to a scheduled collection. Leaves will be scheduled for collection by the Borough on an ongoing basis, as often as practicable, during the period from October 1 to January 1 and from April 1 to June 1. Scheduled collections will be announced through local newspapers and by notices posted in the municipal building. Leaves placed in the street in anticipation of collections during the period from October 1 to January 1 need not be containerized. Leaves placed in a Borough-owned street in anticipation of collections during the period April 1 to June 1 must be containerized. When containerized, the leaves must be contained in bags which when full shall not weigh more than 45 pounds per bag. Whether or not containerized, leaves placed in the street for collection shall not include grass clippings or other yard waste.
The placement of uncontainerized leaves in a street owned by the county or state shall be subject to regulation by them. However, containerized leaves may be placed in a state or county street for collection by the Borough during the period from April 1 to June 1, subject to the weight limitations set forth above.
Other yard waste, exclusive of grass clippings, may be placed in any street during the day immediately prior to a collection scheduled by the Borough for that type of yard waste and at no other time. All such yard waste shall be containerized, except brush must be stacked neatly with the large end of the trunk or stem facing the street and need not be tied or containerized. Tree trunks and limbs in excess of six inches in diameter will not be collected except in compliance with regulations governing bulk trash service as provided in the Borough Code. Grass clippings may not be included or mixed with this waste. Placing grass clippings in the street, whether or not containerized, is prohibited at all times.
[Amended 12-7-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-11]
Weekly collections shall be scheduled as follows:
To the extent yard waste is permitted by this article to be placed in the street in bags or containers, no more than 20 bags or containers may be placed at the curb for collection at any one time. Yard waste permitted to be placed in the street without bags or containers shall be placed in a pile no larger than four feet wide by four feet high by 15 feet long. Each property is limited to one such pile per week.
[Added 12-7-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-11]
[Amended 12-7-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-11]
Any person who violates or neglects to comply with any provision of this article or any regulation promulgated pursuant thereto shall receive at least one warning before an enforcement action is brought but thereafter shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $500. Each day the violation continues shall constitute a separate offense.