[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Cazenovia 1-20-1965 by L.L. No. 1-1965 (Ch. 24 of the 1965 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The Clerk of the Board of Trustees and Village of Cazenovia, New York.
- ESTABLISHED PLACE OF BUSINESS
- Includes a building or store in which or where a person transacts business or deals in goods, wares or merchandise he hawks, peddles or solicits for during regular business hours.
- HAWKERS or PEDDLERS
- Includes any person, either principal or agent, who in any public street or public place or by going from house to house or place of business to place of business, on foot or means of any conveyance, sells, barters, offers for sale, carries or exposes for sale or barters any goods or merchandise except milk, newspapers and periodicals.
- The Mayor of the Board of Trustees.
- Includes any individual, firm, copartnership or corporation or other entity capable of being sued.
- Includes any person who goes from house to house, or from place to place or who stands in any street or public place, taking or offering to take orders for goods, wares or merchandise except newspapers, milk or ice.
- The Village of Cazenovia, New York.
Nothing in this chapter shall apply to any sales conducted by order of any court; nor to wholesalers selling to retailers, or to merchants having an established place of business within the Village; nor to farmers or truck gardeners who sell or dispose of products of their own farms; nor to any honorably discharged soldier, sailor or marine who has procured a license as provided by the laws of the State of New York; nor to those engaged in interstate traffic and commerce.
It shall be unlawful for any person within the corporate limits of the Village of Cazenovia to act as hawker, peddler or solicitor as defined herein, without first having obtained and paid for, and having in force and effect, a license therefor. Said license shall be issued by the Village Clerk, and the fee therefor shall be as set from time to time by resolution of the Village Board of Trustees.
Prior to the issue of the license, said hawker, peddler or solicitor shall sign a release for a background check to be performed by the Cazenovia Village Police Department. The Police Department shall complete the background check within 24 hours of the request.
Fees for background checks and fingerprinting services provided by the Cazenovia Police Department will be set from time to time by resolution of the Village Board of Trustees.
No person shall publicly solicit alms within the Village of Cazenovia without the consent, in writing, of the Mayor of the Village of Cazenovia.