[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Greenwich 3-3-1986 by Ord. No. 3-1986. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any two-wheeled motor-propelled apparatus licensed by the State of New Jersey, Department of Motor Vehicles, for operation upon the public highways.
- A. Any two-, three- or four-wheeled bicycle or similar apparatus, motor-propelled or having a helper motor and commonly referred to, among other designations, as "moped," "minibike," "go-cart," "all terrain vehicle (ATV)," "trailbike" or the like, which by its nature is not authorized to be licensed by the State of New Jersey, Department of Motor Vehicles, for use upon the public highway, notwithstanding the fact that licensing of the same in some instances may not be required for operation upon the public highways.
- B. Snowmobiles and any similar sport vehicle which is motor-propelled and traverses the terrain by means of treads, tracks or the like, as contrasted to wheels.
- PRIVATE PROPERTY
- All lands in the Township of Greenwich, not defined as "public property" or part of road system defined as an exception in the definition of "public property" set forth below.
- PUBLIC PROPERTY
- Lands owned or leased by the Township of Greenwich, a municipal corporation of the State of New Jersey, County of Gloucester and State of New Jersey, Greenwich Township Board of Education or any other equivalent public body, but specifically excluding from said definition any roadways used for public transportation and being part of the accepted road systems of the State of New Jersey, Department of Transportation, Township of Greenwich or County of Gloucester.
- UNLICENSED OPERATOR
- The operator of any motorcycle who does not hold a special license issued by the State of New Jersey, Department of Motor Vehicles, permitting the operation of a motorcycle on the public highways or the operator of any motorized sportbike who is in violation of § 665-2B of this chapter.
It shall be unlawful:
To operate a motorized sportbike or motorcycle upon public or private property during the period of one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise, but the within prohibition shall not be applicable to:
To operate a motorized sportbike or motorcycle on public or private property, other than with the written consent of all of the owners of said property. Verification must be produced within 24 hours of violation.
To operate a motorized sportbike or motorcycle upon public or private property, other than in accordance with the general regulations set forth in § 665-3 of this chapter.
To operate a motorized sportbike or motorcycle on public or private property in such a way as to harass, worry or disturb farm animals, domestic livestock or wildlife or, further, to destroy or damage crop or cropland or to create a nuisance by the generation of dust that interferes with the use and occupancy of adjacent properties.
To operate a motorized sportbike or motorcycle on public or private property without the same being in "proper operating condition," which is hereby defined as the presence of all original operating equipment specified therefor by the original manufacturer with the same in operating condition at least equal to the manufacturer's requirements for the proper operation thereof, or the equivalent thereof.
For an unlicensed operator to operate a motorcycle on public or private property other than the property of the family of which the operator is a residing member.
The following regulations shall apply to the operator of a motorized sportbike or motorcycle operated on public or private property other than on the property of the family of which the operator is a member.
The operator of a motorized sportbike or motorcycle shall wear a helmet, together with goggles or face shields, such as is approved therefor by the State of New Jersey Department of Transportation.
No person operating a motorized sportbike or motorcycle shall engage in fancy or trick riding or ride without maintaining full control of such motorized sportbike or motorcycle or shall remove both hands from the handlebar.
No person operating a motorized sportbike or motorcycle shall carry any other person thereon except in a place designated therefor and equipped therefor as part of original manufacture for said purpose, and in no event shall a rider be carried on the handlebar thereof.
It shall be the duty of any police officer to:
Impound any motorized sportbike or motorcycle operated on public or private property alleged to be in violation of this chapter, either by virtue of its operation and use or by virtue of its operation by an unlicensed operator.
Impound any motorized sportbike or motorcycle operating on the public roadways in violation of any then-applicable state or statute or any regulation validly promulgated by any state agency having jurisdiction. Said period of impoundment shall be from the date of the alleged violation until the disposition of the alleged offense by such court of competent jurisdiction as shall hear the same, and the owner thereof shall pay the reasonable cost of said removal and storage constituting impoundment, which is hereby deemed to be $3 per day, not to exceed $35, which charge for impoundment shall in no event exceed 30 consecutive calendar days, provided that the operator shall be deemed guilty of the alleged offense. Said expense of impoundment shall be in addition to any other fine or penalty levied or collected under the terms of this chapter.
For any violation of this chapter, the offender shall be liable to a penalty of not more than $500.