[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Stratford 8-10-2009 by Ord. No. 09-26. Amendments noted where applicable.]
EMS funding — See Ch. 88.
Food-handling establishments — See Ch. 105.
Health regulations — See Ch. 120.
Editor’s Note: This ordinance also superseded former Ch. 80, Defibrillators, adopted 10-14-2008 by Ord. No. 08-05. The ordinance further provided that it shall become effective January 2010 for health clubs, lodging establishments and retail establishments and July 2010 for municipal buildings and dining establishments.
The Town of Stratford is committed to ensuring its residents, employees, those employed in the Town of Stratford and those that visit and or conduct business in the Town of Stratford are provided with an opportunity to have automatic external defibrillation should they be stricken with sudden cardiac arrest.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following words are defined:
- An acronym for automated external defibrillator.
- AUTOMATIC EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATOR
- An automated external defibrillator is a portable electronic device that automatically diagnoses the potentially life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias of ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia in a patient, and is able to treat them through defibrillation, the application of electrical therapy which stops the arrhythmia, allowing the heart to reestablish an effective rhythm.
- DINING ESTABLISHMENTS
- Any establishment within the Town of Stratford that is licensed pursuant to § 105-4 of the Code of the Town of Stratford with a seating capacity of 125 or more persons.
- HEALTH CLUB
- Any health club, as defined in § 21a-216 of the Connecticut General Statutes, that is located within the Town of Stratford.
- LODGING ESTABLISHMENTS
- Any establishment within the Town of Stratford, such as a hotel, motel, inn or other similar facility that rents or leases 30 or more rooms to the general public.
- MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS
- Any Town of Stratford-owned building that houses municipal employees or is open to the general public, including Town of Stratford schools.
- RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS
- Any retail store that employs more than 50 persons and or that has a public occupancy of greater than 250 persons.
All AED devices must be FDA-approved.
Automatic external defibrillators shall be installed in all municipal buildings, health clubs, dining establishments, lodging establishments and retail establishments in sufficient numbers and locations so that an AED device shall be accessible, at a minimum, within one minute in the event of an emergency.
All AED devices shall be maintained and tested in accordance with the operational guidelines of the manufacturer. Each place where an AED device is installed must adopt an automatic external defibrillator maintenance checklist that can be obtained from the Town of Stratford.
All AED devices must identify an individual responsible for inspecting the AEDs at regularly scheduled intervals, as recommended by the AED manufacturer.
The emergency medical service system shall be activated immediately upon the discovery of a situation in which the use of an AED is anticipated. Activation will be via the 911 emergency telephone system. The activation of the emergency medical service system must not be delayed due to the actual or anticipated use of an AED.
Each AED device shall be registered with the Connecticut Office of Emergency Medical Services. Each person and or entity required to install an AED device shall complete an AED registry form, which can be obtained from the Town of Stratford, for each AED unit.
All AED installations shall be subject to periodic inspections by the Stratford Fire Department or its designee.
Any person or entity that fails to comply with any portion of this chapter shall be subject to:
Persons who use an AED to render emergency care shall be immune from liability pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes § 52-557b.