[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the Township of Bethlehem as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Parks and recreation areas — See Ch. 170.
[Adopted 10-20-2003 by Ord. No. 08-03]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- OFFICIAL SIGN
- A sign placed or erected by the United States, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the County of Northampton, the Township of Bethlehem, or other legally constituted governmental body, or required by law or order of court, or specifically authorized by a Township ordinance or resolution, for official governmental purposes.
- POLLING PLACE ELECTION SIGN
- A sign directly related to a candidate for public elected office or an issue which is before the public electorate at an election conducted under the authority of the Pennsylvania Election Code on Township property which has been designated as a polling place by the Northampton County Board of Elections.
- Any device for visual communication that is used for the purpose of bringing the subject thereof to the attention of the public.
- TOWNSHIP PROPERTY
- Real estate owned by the Township of Bethlehem, but not including Township street rights-of-way not directly abutting real estate owned by the Township of Bethlehem.
Except as provided by § 190-3, no person shall place or erect any sign on any Township property.
The provisions of § 190-2 shall not apply to:
An official sign;
Any person physically carrying a sign at any time as an expression of such person's right of freedom of speech;
A polling place election sign which is erected not earlier than 8:00 p.m. on the day prior to the date of the election and removed not later than 8:00 p.m. on the date following the date of the election; or
Any person who violates § 190-2 shall be guilty of a summary offense, and shall upon conviction thereof be sentenced a pay a fine of $300 and, in default of such payment, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not more than 30 days.