[Adopted by Ord. No. 8-1997 (Ch. 1.04 of the 1996 Municipal Code)]
For the purpose of this Code and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR
- The Business Administrator appointed pursuant to the Charter and this Code, or any deputy or acting administrator temporarily serving in place of the Business Administrator.
- The Mayor-Council Plan of the Optional Municipal Charter Law and all applicable provisions of the general law.
- The City of Burlington in the County of Burlington and State of New Jersey.
- CLERK or MUNICIPAL CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk appointed by the Common Council.
- COUNCIL or COMMON COUNCIL
- The governing body of the City exercising the legislative power, as set forth in the Charter.
- The basic organizational unit of the City government established pursuant to this Code.
- The administrative head of a department.
- A basic organizational unit under a department.
- GENERAL LAW
- Any law or provision of law not inconsistent with the Optional Municipal Charter Law which is applicable to all municipalities.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- The chief executive officer of the City exercising the executive powers of the City, as set forth in the Charter.
- A calendar month, unless otherwise specifically provided.
- An act of local legislation adopted by the Common Council required to be reduced to writing and read at more than one meeting thereof and published.
- Any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, dubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any part thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself/herself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- An action of the Common Council expressing the sense or will of the Council on a matter of special or temporary interest which shall be written and may be adopted at the meeting at which it is introduced without publication or public hearing.
- Includes a street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public.
- A calendar year, unless otherwise specified.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter. The singular number includes the plural and the plural, the singular. "Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, and, if the last day be a Sunday or a legal holiday, that day shall be excluded.
Whenever a specific time is used in this revision, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
"Writing and written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Editor's Note: Original Subsections F, G and H, regarding chapters, sections and subsections, which immediately followed this subsection, were repealed 6-14-2011 by Ord. No. 05-2011.
No rule or regulation made by any department, officer, agency or authority of the City, except such as relates to the organization or internal management of the City government or part thereof, shall take effect until it is filed either with the Municipal Clerk or in such other manner as may be provided by a specific ordinance. The Common Council shall provide for the prompt publication of such rules and regulations.