[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Roslyn 1-18-2000 by L.L. No. 1-2000 as Ch. 7 of the 2000 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Code enforcement — See Ch. 25.
This chapter shall be known as and may be cited as the "Appearance Ticket and Summons Law of the Incorporated Village of Roslyn."
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- APPEARANCE TICKET
- A written notice issued and subscribed by a public servant authorized by law to issue the same directing a designated person to appear in the Village Justice Court at a designated future time in connection with an alleged violation of a provision of this Code, other rule or regulation of the Village or of a law of the State of New York punishable in said Village Justice Court.
- A verified written accusation by a person, filed with the Village Justice Court, charging one or more other persons with a violation of this Code or other rule or regulation of the Village or of a law of the State of New York punishable in said Village Justice Court.
- SIMPLIFIED TRAFFIC INFORMATION
- A written accusation by a police officer or other public servant authorized by law to issue the same, filed with the Village Justice Court, which charges a person with the commission of one or more violations of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York, other than operating a motor vehicle or motorcycle while in an intoxicated condition, and which, being in brief or simplified form as prescribed by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, designates the offense or offenses charged but contains no factual allegations of an evidentiary nature supporting such charge or charges.
- A process, issued by the Village Justice Court, directing a defendant designated in an information filed with such Court to appear before it at a designated future time in connection with such information for the purpose of arraignment thereon.
- VILLAGE JUSTICE COURT
- The Village Justice Court of the Incorporated Village of Roslyn.
The following officers and employees of the Village are hereby authorized and empowered to issue appearance tickets, summonses and informations, provided that the issuance thereof is made pursuant to their statutory authority and otherwise consistent with the terms and provisions of this chapter:
Appearance ticket. Every appearance ticket that is issued pursuant to the provisions of this chapter shall include the following:
Name and address of party(ies) to whom ticket is issued.
Citation of law(s) and the appropriate section(s) allegedly violated.
Place and date of alleged violation(s).
Place, date and time that the party(ies) is (are) required to appear in court.
Date of issuance of appearance ticket(s).
Title and signature of issuing officer(s).
Summons. Every summons issued by the Village Justice Court shall state or contain:
The name of the Village Justice Court.
The name of the defendant to whom it is addressed.
The name or title of the offense charged in the underlying information.
The date such summons is issued.
The date and time such summons is returnable.
A direction that the defendant appear before the Village Justice Court at such time.
Every information or simplified traffic information may only be filed with the Village Justice Court when the offense charged therein was allegedly committed within the geographic borders of the Village.