[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Commissioners of the Township of Robinson 8-14-1989 by Ord. No. 16-1989 as Ch. 7, Part 2, of the 1989 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
- BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
- The Board of Commissioners of the Township of Robinson, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
- Any enclosed device specifically designed for burning any material for the production of heat.
- All putrescible animal and vegetable matter resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Any device specifically designed for the destruction by burning of refuse, sewage sludge, or any other combustible material.
- OPEN FIRE
- A fire in which any material is burned in the open or in a receptacle other than a furnace or incinerator.
- Any individual, partnership, association, corporation, department, bureau, agency or other legal entity.
- Garbage, rubbish and trade waste.
- Solids not considered to be highly flammable or explosive, including but not limited to rags, old clothes, leather, rubber, carpets, wood, excelsior, paper, ashes, tree branches, tree leaves, yard trimmings, furniture, tin cans, glass, crockery, masonry and other similar materials.
- SALVAGE OPERATION
- Any business, trade or industry engaged in whole or in part in salvaging or reclaiming any product or material, including but not limited to metals, chemicals, shipping containers or drums.
- TRADE WASTE
- All solid or liquid material or rubbish resulting from construction, building operations, or the prosecution of any business, trade or industry, including but not limited to plastic products, cartons, paint, grease, oil and other petroleum products, chemicals, cinders and other forms of solid or liquid waste materials, provided that trade waste shall not include any coal refuse associated with the mining or preparation of coal.
Within the Township limits, no person shall:
Ignite or feed an open fire for the destruction of refuse or in the conduct of a salvage operation in any public or private place outside any building; or
Cause, suffer, allow or permit the maintenance of any open fire for the destruction of refuse or in the conduct of a salvage operation on any property under his control outside of any building.
Subject to the following exceptions:
Open fires may be set with approval of the authorized enforcement officer of this chapter, provided that:
Leaves, branches and other nonputrescible vegetable matter only are burned;
There is no practical available alternative method for disposal of the material to be burned;
No hazardous or other objectionable condition will be created by such burning;
No such burning is allowed on any street or sidewalk within the Township of Robinson; and
All such burning takes place between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
The Board of Commissioners of the Township of Robinson shall appoint the Fire Code Official who shall have the power to enforce the provisions of this chapter.
Any person who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $600 and, in default of payment, to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 30 days.