[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Mount Union 5-2-2005 by Ord. No. 1072. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The Borough Council of the Borough of Mount Union hereby finds and declares that the provisions of this chapter are enacted to establish regulations regarding the use, operation, and control of motor scooters, skates, skateboards and motorized vehicles of a recreational type, excluding passenger and commercial vehicles, on the roadways, alleys, sidewalks, public parks, paths, public places, or other public or private property within the Borough of Mount Union.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- MOTORIZED VEHICLES OF A RECREATIONAL TYPE, OTHER THAN PASSENGER AND COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
- Such motorized vehicles shall include all types of recreational transportation, including but not limited to minibikes, motor scooters, miniature motorcycles, or all-terrain vehicles.
- The portion of the highway, street, or alley designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, excluding sidewalks, berms, and shoulders.
- That portion of the highway, street, or alley between the curblines or the lateral lines of the roadway and the adjacent property lines designed or ordinarily intended for use by pedestrians.
- A single platform mounted on wheels, which is propelled solely by human power and which has no mechanisms or other device with which to steer or to control the movement or the direction of the platform.
- Every device, excluding skateboards, wagons, wheelchairs, unicycles, pushcarts, tricycles, and other children's toys, in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a roadway or sidewalk.
No person shall ride skates, a skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of a recreational type upon any sidewalk, park, schoolyard, public alley or any public place or any highway or street or roadway.
No person shall let skates, a skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of a recreational type regulated herein stand upon any sidewalk, park, path, roadway or any public place.
No person shall ride skates, a skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of a recreational type regulated hereunder onto or from any bench, chair, flower box, retaining wall, stairway or other public accessory or structure not intended for pedestrian foot traffic or intended only for pedestrian foot traffic.
All types of vehicles that are propelled by some type of motor and are primarily intended as a means of transportation for disabled persons are exempt under the provisions of this chapter and may be operated in all locations except for roadways, on which they may only be operated as needed to cross the highway, street, public alley, or other public roadway at a designated crosswalk.
No parent, guardian, adult, or other person shall permit a person under the age of 18 years to operate skates, a skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of a recreational type regulated hereunder on any sidewalk, park, path, roadway, public alley, or any other public or private property in the Borough of Mount Union in violation of the Borough Code or of any law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Every person convicted of a violation of any provisions of this chapter, including those persons convicted under § 272-4 above, shall be guilty of a summary offense and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $25 nor more than $300, and the costs of prosecution, and shall be ordered to pay restitution should any damage or injury have resulted from the commission of the act giving rise to the violation of this chapter.