[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of North Haledon 7-16-2008 by Ord. No. 6-2008. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Taxicabs — See Ch. 555.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any automobile or motor car used in the business of carrying passengers for hire to provide prearranged transportation at a premium fare on a dedicated, nonscheduled, charter basis that is not conducted on a regular route and with a seating capacity in no event of more than 14 passengers, not including the driver, provided that such a vehicle shall not have a seating capacity in excess of four passengers, not including the driver, beyond the maximum passenger seating capacity of the vehicle, not including the driver, at the time of manufacture. Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to include taxicabs, hotel buses, buses employed solely in transporting schoolchildren or teachers, vehicles owned and operated directly or indirectly by businesses engaged in the practice of mortuary science when those vehicles are used exclusively for providing transportation related to the provision of funeral services, autobuses which are subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation, or interstate autobuses required by federal or state law or regulations of the Department of Transportation to carry insurance against loss from liability imposed by law on account of bodily injury or death.
- LIMOUSINE OR LIVERY SERVICE
- Includes the business of carrying passengers for hire by limousines.
- PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS
- The location of the main place of business of the limousine or livery service, where limousine or livery service is conducted, where limousines are dispatched, where limousines are stored or parked, or where limousine drivers report for duty.
Every owner of a limousine or livery service having its principal place of business in the Borough of North Haledon shall make application to the Clerk of the Borough of North Haledon, on such form as may be prescribed by the Borough Clerk, for a license to operate such limousine or livery service and for each limousine to be utilized by the applicant in connection with such limousine or livery service.
Every owner of a limousine or livery service making application for a license to the Borough of North Haledon shall file with the Borough Clerk at the time of the filing of the application for a license the required insurance certificate as set forth in N.J.S.A. 48:16-14 for each limousine sought to be licensed, as well as a power of attorney as set forth in N.J.S.A. 48:16-16 for each limousine sought to be licensed.
The application submitted by the applicant, in addition to the insurance and power of attorney requirements set forth above, shall be on such form as prescribed by the Borough Clerk and contain therein the following information sworn to or affirmed by the applicant:
The year, make, model and vehicle identification number, license plate number and color of each limousine sought to be licensed;
The name and address of the insurance company and policy number for each limousine sought to be licensed;
The applicant's principal place of business;
The home address and business address of the applicant;
Proof that each limousine sought to be licensed is equipped with all equipment prescribed by N.J.S.A. 48:16-22.1;
A statement as to whether or not the applicant has ever been convicted of a crime, and if the applicant has been convicted of a crime, a complete statement concerning dates and disposition thereof. In the case of an applicant that is not an individual, the statement shall be completed as to each officer, director, shareholder, member or other individual having an ownership interest of more than 10% in the applicant.
[Amended 5-19-2010 by Ord. No. 9-2010]
The application shall be accompanied by a fee as set forth in Chapter 275, Fees.
In addition to the foregoing, the applicant shall present each limousine sought to be licensed to the Chief of Police or his/her designee for inspection so as to ensure compliance with N.J.S.A. 48:16-22.1.
[Amended 3-16-2011 by Ord. No. 2-2011]
Upon approval of the application, including receipt of the required proof of insurance, power of attorney and fee, as well as inspection of the limousine by the Chief of Police, the Borough Clerk shall issue a license to the applicant for each approved limousine, which shall remain valid from the date of issuance through March 31 of the calendar year in which approval shall have been granted, or if approval is granted after March 31 of a given calendar year, through March 31 of the following calendar year, subject to § 370-8 below.
Any license issued hereunder shall remain in effect only for the period that the insurance described in the certificate filed with the Borough Clerk remains in full force and effect and the registration issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission remains valid and in effect.
The license issued hereunder shall be in the possession of the driver or operator at all times when he/she is driving or operating the licensed limousine within the Borough of North Haledon.
No limousine may be parked within any residential district of the Borough of North Haledon unless said limousine is within the scope of and performing limousine or livery service.