[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Camillus 6-16-1998 by L.L. No. 2-1998. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The Village Board finds that skateboarding, bicycle riding, in-line skating, roller-blading and roller-skating pose a special safety hazard which must be addressed and that, therefore, appropriate regulation thereof is necessary to promote the safety of skaters, pedestrians, motor vehicle operators and other persons utilizing roadways and sidewalks within the Village. Accordingly, the Village Board declares this chapter to be necessary for the protection of the public health, safety and welfare and to be in the public interest.
For the purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Every two- or three-wheeled device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power through a belt, a chain or gears, with such wheels in a tandem or tricycle, or as otherwise defined in the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, except that it shall not include such a device having solid tires and intended for use only on a sidewalk by preteen-age children.
- RESTRICTED AREA
- The sidewalk on the south side of Main Street from its intersection with Elm Street easterly to its intersection with South Street and the sidewalk on the north side of Main Street from the western edge of the property at 76 Main Street easterly to its intersection with Newport Road.
- A platform which is mounted on wheels, having no mechanism or other device with which to steer or control the direction or movement thereof while being used, operated or ridden.
- SKATES, IN-LINE SKATES AND ROLLER BLADES
- A manufactured or assembled device consisting of an upper portion that is intended to be secured to a human foot, with a frame or chassis attached along the length of the bottom of such upper portion, with such frame or chassis holding two or more wheels that are longitudinally aligned, and used to skate or glide by means of human foot and leg power while having such device attached to each such foot or leg, or as otherwise defined in the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law.
Traveling on skateboards, in-line skates, roller blades and roller skates in the restricted area is hereby prohibited at all hours of the day and night.
The use of bicycles on the sidewalks within the restricted area is hereby prohibited at all hours of the day and night, except that bicyclists shall not be prohibited from walking their bicycles in the restricted area.
The parent or guardian of a minor child shall not authorize or knowingly permit any such child to violate any of the provisions of this chapter.
Any person or persons violating any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of an offense and shall pay a fine not to exceed $25 for each offense and shall be subject to the forfeiture of the skateboard, bicycle, in-line skates, roller blades or roller skates.